Re: Chiang Mai: Unexplained myocarditis - 7 deaths - chlorpyrifos insecticide poisoning suspected
Re: Chiang Mai: Unexplained myocarditis - 7 deaths - chlorpyrifos insecticide poisoning suspected
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/13/national/Probe-team-narrows-possibilities-30155299.html
MYSTERIOUS DEATHS
Probe team narrows possibilities
By Kwandao Jitpana
The Nation
CHIANG MAI
Published on May 13, 2011
Health official says finding exact cause of deaths may be impossible
The investigation into the Downtown Inn Hotel deaths hadn't determine the exact cause of death yet but now focused on three possible causes: infection, chemical or environment, and would get experts' help to determine the cause of deaths, it was announced at the press conference yesterday.
This move followed headlines about a New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter's mysterious death especially the New Zealand TV3's "60 Minutes" programme, which suggested the chemical spray chlorpyrifos that kills bed bugs was responsible for the death of Sarah Carter, as well as six others who were reported to have died in similar circumstances since January.
At the Chiang Mai Public Health Office yesterday, Chiang Mai Governor Panadda Diskul presided over the threehourlong closedoor conference with Chiang Mai health authority and consulate representatives of 10 countries including Todd Cleaver from the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok.
In the press conference later, Chiang Mai Public Health chief Dr Wattana Kanchanakamon said they had a lot of meetings and get helps from experts including those from the World Health Organisation and Japan's Osaka City to determine the cause and what to do next.
He said they had Carter's stomach liquid sample that needed to be retested for credibility before reporting the result to those involved without any hiding or covering up attempts.
Wattana's deputy Dr Surasing Wisarutrat said that the probe had progressed half way now and the initial possible causes (infection, chemicals, crime, drug and environment) were narrowed to focus on infection, infection and environment - all of which needed further inspections. Surasing said the team would also be happy to accept any help in term of experts and also warned that public should not expect too much because a disease investigation might not definitely find the exact cause of the death sometimes. He said the team would also have a teleconference over the case with foreign experts at 6pm yesterday. He said the hotelroom where Carter stayed prior to her death was also closed and the hotel insisted they didn't use the chemical spray chlorpyrifos. He also added that chlorpyrifos would be fatal if one drank a glassful of it or 87cc hence death by inhaling it was unlikely. He said they would continue the probe with helps from experts and would keep those involved updated.
Panadda said that the Thai authorities didn't ignore the problem and all tried their best to restore the Thai people's integrity that they worked with sincerity and transparency. But to be appropriate, the Thai authorities had to contact the families of those who died or fell sick to make them at ease. Panadda said he therefore brought the probing team to explain to the international convoys about what they had done in the probe so far. He said that the convoys agreed that they had done a lot. He said that the team would need more time to get the answer.
Prior to the conference yesterday, Panadda commented that the international media's news reported had exaggerated facts especially the number of seven persons died after staying or using the facilities of Downtown Inn Hotel. He said that there were actually only four people; the elderly English couple whose deaths weren't questioned by relatives due to their ages, hence only a Thai female tour guide and the 23yearold New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter - the latter whose death on February 6 led to news headlines. He also said the hotel owner wasn't his relative as claimed.
Re: Chiang Mai: Unexplained myocarditis - 7 deaths - chlorpyrifos insecticide poisoning suspected
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/13/national/Probe-team-narrows-possibilities-30155299.html
MYSTERIOUS DEATHS
Probe team narrows possibilities
By Kwandao Jitpana
The Nation
CHIANG MAI
Published on May 13, 2011
Health official says finding exact cause of deaths may be impossible
The investigation into the Downtown Inn Hotel deaths hadn't determine the exact cause of death yet but now focused on three possible causes: infection, chemical or environment, and would get experts' help to determine the cause of deaths, it was announced at the press conference yesterday.
This move followed headlines about a New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter's mysterious death especially the New Zealand TV3's "60 Minutes" programme, which suggested the chemical spray chlorpyrifos that kills bed bugs was responsible for the death of Sarah Carter, as well as six others who were reported to have died in similar circumstances since January.
At the Chiang Mai Public Health Office yesterday, Chiang Mai Governor Panadda Diskul presided over the threehourlong closedoor conference with Chiang Mai health authority and consulate representatives of 10 countries including Todd Cleaver from the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok.
In the press conference later, Chiang Mai Public Health chief Dr Wattana Kanchanakamon said they had a lot of meetings and get helps from experts including those from the World Health Organisation and Japan's Osaka City to determine the cause and what to do next.
He said they had Carter's stomach liquid sample that needed to be retested for credibility before reporting the result to those involved without any hiding or covering up attempts.
Wattana's deputy Dr Surasing Wisarutrat said that the probe had progressed half way now and the initial possible causes (infection, chemicals, crime, drug and environment) were narrowed to focus on infection, infection and environment - all of which needed further inspections. Surasing said the team would also be happy to accept any help in term of experts and also warned that public should not expect too much because a disease investigation might not definitely find the exact cause of the death sometimes. He said the team would also have a teleconference over the case with foreign experts at 6pm yesterday. He said the hotelroom where Carter stayed prior to her death was also closed and the hotel insisted they didn't use the chemical spray chlorpyrifos. He also added that chlorpyrifos would be fatal if one drank a glassful of it or 87cc hence death by inhaling it was unlikely. He said they would continue the probe with helps from experts and would keep those involved updated.
Panadda said that the Thai authorities didn't ignore the problem and all tried their best to restore the Thai people's integrity that they worked with sincerity and transparency. But to be appropriate, the Thai authorities had to contact the families of those who died or fell sick to make them at ease. Panadda said he therefore brought the probing team to explain to the international convoys about what they had done in the probe so far. He said that the convoys agreed that they had done a lot. He said that the team would need more time to get the answer.
Prior to the conference yesterday, Panadda commented that the international media's news reported had exaggerated facts especially the number of seven persons died after staying or using the facilities of Downtown Inn Hotel. He said that there were actually only four people; the elderly English couple whose deaths weren't questioned by relatives due to their ages, hence only a Thai female tour guide and the 23yearold New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter - the latter whose death on February 6 led to news headlines. He also said the hotel owner wasn't his relative as claimed.