• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

28 staff sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms. 3 Players suspect.

thebes

Well-known member
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/wimbledon/article6603312.ece

Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon in swine flu scare
(Graham Hughes/The Times)
Officials said there was no threat to the championships
Laura Dixon

Four ball boys have been sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms amid concerns about a possible swine-flu outbreak at the tennis Championships.

The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) confirmed today that a number of ball boys and girls had been asked to stay at home after they became unwell.

The scare follows the death on Saturday of a 73-year-old man in Scotland, the second person to die from the disease in Britain.

Although officials could not confirm that the affected ball boys and girls, who are all believed to be about 15, were suffering from swine flu, they advised those suffering from the symptoms - a high temperature, sore throat and cough - to stay at home.

The ball boys and girls, who have not been named, would have been attending some of the world?s top tennis players on the courts.

Last week Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer for England, warned that Britain could soon expect to see a surge of illness, with tens of thousands of cases of swine flu emerging each week by the autumn.

Officials said that they would abandon attempts to contain the spread of the virus in London and the West Midlands, instead opting for a policy of managing the outbreak, in a week in which the Health Protection Agency said there were now 4,250 confirmed cases in the UK.

In a memo to staff, Ian Ritchie, the AELTC chief executive said: ?A small number of our Championships? personnel have reported a flu-like illness and consequently have been asked to stay at home.

?Having consulted closely with the Health Protection Agency, we have been reassured that since the incidence is entirely in line with the wider London community, there is no particular extra risk to all those connected with the event, be they players, media, staff or spectators, and we are able to continue with the Championships as normal.?

Wimbledon officials said the ball boys had not been tested for swine flu, in line with the new recommendations, and played down the threat to the tournament at large.

?It is in the community, it?s in schools, it would be strange in a way if we didn?t have it,? Johnny Perkins, spokesman for the AELTC said.

He said it was ?sensible? to take precautions. ?It is not serious, the incidence in entirely compatible with what we are seeing in the rest of London,? he said.

Although a couple of players had mentioned feeling unwell during the tournament, the AELTC said they would not know - and would not necessarily be told - if any of the players had contracted the virus.

There are 250 ball boys and girls at Wimbledon this year, most of whom come from schools neighbouring the tournament.
 
Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) ? Wimbledon officials had to play down swine flu fears Monday after four ball boys and girls were asked to stay home with flu symptoms.

Ian Ritchie, the chief executive of the All England Club, issued a statement about the flu cases and asked all visitors and personnel to stay away from the championships if they develop any symptoms.

However, All England Club spokesman Henry O'Grady said there was no reason to suspect that swine flu had reached the tournament.

"There's no one that has swine flu," O'Grady said. "There are a couple of people that have flu symptoms, and as a result they've been asked to stay at home. ... They haven't been tested for swine flu, and they're not going to be tested."

O'Grady said he did not have any information about the staffers' ages or genders, or whether they went to the same school.

A 73-year-old man infected with swine flu died at a hospital outside Glasgow on Saturday, and a 38-year-woman died of the disease in Scotland earlier this month.

There have been more than 4,300 confirmed cases of swine flu in Britain.

http://www.courant.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-ten-wimbledon-flu,0,3011744.story
 
Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

wimbledon, england (ap) ? however, all england club spokesman henry o'grady said there was no reason to suspect that swine flu had reached the tournament.

"there's no one that has swine flu," o'grady said. "there are a couple of people that have flu symptoms, and as a result they've been asked to stay at home. ... They haven't been tested for swine flu, and they're not going to be tested."

http://www.courant.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-ten-wimbledon-flu,0,3011744.story
exactly.
 
Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

Re: Four ball boys sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...staff-sent-home-with-suspected-Swine-Flu.html

28 Wimbledon staff sent home with suspected Swine Flu
Nearly 30 staff have been sent home from the Wimbledon Championships with suspected swine flu just two days after the first feared cases were discovered.

By Caroline Gammell
Published: 12:47PM BST 01 Jul 2009

Nearly 30 staff have been sent home from the Wimbledon Championships with suspected swine flu.

Among the 28 people suffering from the "flu-like" symptoms were ballboys and girls, catering staff, a member of staff from the shop and a person from the broadcasting centre.

It has also emerged that three players may have fallen foul of the virus ? doubles players American Travis Parrot, as well as Slovakians Michal Mertinak and Filip Polasaek.


The situation is being monitored closely by the Health Protection Agency after three people who contracted the illness died.

All players and staff at Wimbledon have been told to be extra vigilant to avoid coming down with the flu.

Players have been told to wash their hands after using the computers in the players' lounge and to dispose of their towels immediately after use.

The alert was made on Monday after four ballboys and girls were sent home from the tournament after complaining of flu-like symptoms.

Three of them have since returned to work at SW19.

A spokeswoman for the All England Lawn Tennis Club said: "The fact that people are starting to come back to work is a positive sign.

"The numbers of people suffering from flu-like symptoms very much reflects what is happening in London as a whole."
 
Re: 28 Staff sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

Re: 28 Staff sent home from Wimbledon with flu-like symptoms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...staff-sent-home-with-suspected-Swine-Flu.html
28 Wimbledon staff sent home with suspected swine flu
Nearly 30 staff have been sent home from the Wimbledon Championships with suspected swine flu just two days after the first feared cases were discovered.


By Caroline Gammell
Published: 12:47PM BST 01 Jul 2009

Among the 28 people suffering from the "flu-like" symptoms were ballboys and girls, catering staff, a member of staff from the shop and a person from the broadcasting centre.

It has also emerged that three players may have fallen foul of the virus ? doubles players American Travis Parrot, as well as Slovakians Michal Mertinak and Filip Polasaek.


The two Slovaks were sharing a hotel room in London, while Parrot partnered Mertinak in the doubles. All three have left the tournament after losing in the second round.

The situation is being monitored closely by the Health Protection Agency after three people who contracted the illness died.

All players and staff at Wimbledon have been told to be extra vigilant to avoid coming down with the flu.

Players have been told to wash their hands after using the computers in the players' lounge and to dispose of their towels immediately after use.

The alert was made on Monday after four ballboys and girls were sent home from the tournament after complaining of flu-like symptoms.

Three of them have since returned to work at SW19.

A spokeswoman for the All England Lawn Tennis Club said: "The fact that people are starting to come back to work is a positive sign.

"The numbers of people suffering from flu-like symptoms very much reflects what is happening in London as a whole."
 
Back
Top