Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obesity worsens the outcome of influenza virus infection associated with impaired type I interferon induction in mice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity worsens the outcome of influenza virus infection associated with impaired type I interferon induction in mice

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2019 Apr 6. pii: S0006-291X(19)30618-7. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2019.03.211. [Epub ahead of print]
    Obesity worsens the outcome of influenza virus infection associated with impaired type I interferon induction in mice.

Namkoong H1, Ishii M2, Fujii H3, Asami T4, Yagi K4, Suzuki S4, Azekawa S4, Tasaka S5, Hasegawa N6, Betsuyaku T4.
    Author information

Abstract

Increasing evidence indicates that obesity is a risk factor for increased severity of influenza virus infection. However, its precise immunological mechanism is not fully understood. To investigate this, diet-induced obese (DIO) mice were established by feeding C57BL/6 male mice a high-fat diet for 16 weeks. DIO and lean control mice were infected intranasally with 3000 pfu of influenza A virus (IAV) (PR8/H1N1). Interestingly, we found adipose tissue located along the bronchus in na?ve DIO mice. In addition, the Nos2 level was significantly higher and Arg1 level was significantly lower in lung macrophages of na?ve DIO mice, consistent with an M1-skewed phenotype. The survival rate and body weight of DIO mice infected with IAV were significantly lower than those of lean control mice and associated with higher viral load in the lungs of DIO mice. Histopathological analysis demonstrated higher numbers of inflammatory cells in the lungs of DIO mice after IAV infection. Levels of cytokines, including TNF-α, IL-6, IL-10, and type I IFN (IFN-α and IFN-β), in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) were altered after IAV infection; in particular, IFN-α and IFN-β levels were significantly suppressed in the BALF of DIO mice. In vitro, bone marrow-derived macrophages were stimulated with ligands of toll-like receptor (TLR) 7/8, a pattern recognition receptor for single-stranded RNA, and levels of TNF-α, IL-6, and IL-10 were similarly altered. In addition, levels of IFN-α and IFN-β were significantly lower in culture supernatants of alveolar macrophages sorted from na?ve DIO mice and infected with IAV, compared to those in macrophages sorted from lean control mice. Collectively, these results suggest that macrophages may be the main contributors to poor outcomes of influenza virus infection in obesity.
    Copyright ? 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:

Alveolar macrophages; Diet-induced obesity; Influenza; Type I interferon

PMID: 30967261 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2019.03.211
Working...
X