Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Dual-Functioning 5'-PPP-NS1shRNA that Activates a RIG-I Antiviral Pathway and Suppresses Influenza NS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dual-Functioning 5'-PPP-NS1shRNA that Activates a RIG-I Antiviral Pathway and Suppresses Influenza NS1

Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 2020 Mar 6;19:1413-1422. doi: 10.1016/j.omtn.2020.01.025. Epub 2020 Jan 31. A Dual-Functioning 5'-PPP-NS1shRNA that Activates a RIG-I Antiviral Pathway and Suppresses Influenza NS1.

Singh N1, Ranjan P1, Cao W1, Patel J1, Gangappa S1, Davidson BA2, Sullivan JM3, Prasad PN4, Knight PR5, Sambhara S6.
    Author information

Abstract

Retinoic acid-inducible gene-I (RIG-I) is a cytosolic pathogen sensor that is crucial against a number of viral infections. Many viruses have evolved to inhibit pathogen sensors to suppress host innate immune responses. In the case of influenza, nonstructural protein 1 (NS1) suppresses RIG-I function, leading to viral replication, morbidity, and mortality. We show that silencing NS1 with in-vitro-transcribed 5'-triphosphate containing NS1 short hairpin RNA (shRNA) (5'-PPP-NS1shRNA), designed using the conserved region of a number of influenza viruses, not only prevented NS1 expression but also induced RIG-I activation and type I interferon (IFN) expression, resulting in an antiviral state leading to inhibition of influenza virus replication in vitro. In addition, administration of 5'-PPP-NS1shRNA in prophylactic and therapeutic settings resulted in significant inhibition of viral replication following viral challenge in vivo in mice with corresponding increases of RIG-I, IFN-β, and IFN-λ, as well as a decrease in NS1 expression.
    Published by Elsevier Inc.

KEYWORDS:

5'PPP-RNA; Influenza; Interferon; NS1; RIG-I; antiviral; shRNA

PMID: 32160710 DOI: 10.1016/j.omtn.2020.01.025
    Free full text

Working...
X