Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A comprehensive study on cellular RNA editing activity in response to infections with different subtypes of influenza a viruses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A comprehensive study on cellular RNA editing activity in response to infections with different subtypes of influenza a viruses

BMC Genomics. 2018 Jan 19;19(Suppl 1):925. doi: 10.1186/s12864-017-4330-1.
    A comprehensive study on cellular RNA editing activity in response to infections with different subtypes of influenza a viruses.

Cao Y1, Cao R2, Huang Y1, Zhou H3, Liu Y1, Li X4, Zhong W5, Hao P6.
    Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

RNA editing is an important mechanism that expands the diversity and complexity of genetic codes. The conversions of adenosine (A) to inosine (I) and cytosine (C) to uridine (U) are two prominent types of RNA editing in animals. The roles of RNA editing events have been implicated in important biological pathways. Cellular RNA editing activity in response to influenza A virus infection has not been fully characterized in human and avian hosts. This study was designed as a big data analysis to investigate the role and response of RNA editing in epithelial cells during the course of infection with various subtypes of influenza A viruses.
    RESULTS:

Using a bioinformatics pipeline modified from our previous study, we characterized the profiles of A-to-I and C-to-U RNA editing events in human epithelial cells during the course of influenza A virus infection. Our results revealed a striking diversity of A-to-I RNA editing activities in human epithelial cells in responses to different subtypes of influenza A viruses. The infection of H1N1 and H3N2 significantly up-regulated normalized A-to-I RNA editing levels in human epithelial cells, whereas that of H5N1 did not change it and H7N9 infection significantly down-regulated normalized A-to-I editing level in A549 cells. Next, the expression levels of ADAR and APOBEC enzymes responsible for A-to-I and C-to-U RNA editing during the course of virus infection were examined. The increase of A-to-I RNA editing activities in infections with some influenza A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2) is linked to the up-regulation of ADAR1 but not ADAR2. Further, the pattern recognition receptors of human epithelial cells infected with H1N1, H3N2, H5N1 and H7N9 were examined. Variable responsive changes in gene expression were observed with RIG-I like receptors and Toll like receptors. Finally, the effect of influenza A virus infection on cellular RNA editing activity was also analyzed in avian hosts.
    CONCLUSION:

This work represents the first comprehensive study of cellular RNA editing activity in response to different influenza A virus infections in human and avian hosts, highlighting the critical role of RNA editing in innate immune response and the pathogenicity of different subtypes of influenza A viruses.

KEYWORDS:

ADAR; APOBEC; Antiviral response; Influenza a virus; Innate immunity; RNA editing

PMID: 29363430 DOI: 10.1186/s12864-017-4330-1
    Free full text
Working...
X