Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differential Nucleocytoplasmic Shuttling of the Nucleoprotein of Influenza A Viruses and Association with Host Tropism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Nucleocytoplasmic Shuttling of the Nucleoprotein of Influenza A Viruses and Association with Host Tropism

Cell Microbiol. 2016 Nov 8. doi: 10.1111/cmi.12692. [Epub ahead of print]
    Differential Nucleocytoplasmic Shuttling of the Nucleoprotein of Influenza A Viruses and Association with Host Tropism.

Li J1, Zheng W1, Hou L1,2, Chen C1,3, Fan W1, Qu H1, Jiang J1,4, Liu J5, Gao GF1,3,6,7, Zhou J8, Sun L1,3, Liu W1,3.
    Author information

Abstract

The nucleoprotein (NP) of influenza A virus plays a crucial role in virus replication, infectivity, and host adaptation. As a major component of the viral ribonucleoprotein complexes (vRNP), NP initiates vRNP shuttling between the nucleus and cytoplasm in the host cell. However, the characteristics of the nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of NP from H1N1 influenza A virus still remain unclear. In the present study, the subcellular localization and the related key residues of the H1N1 influenza virus NP were identified and evaluated. The NP of influenza virus A/WSN/33 (H1N1) (WSN) displayed a more obvious nuclear accumulation than A/Anhui/1/2013 (H7N9) (AH) and A/chicken/Shandong/lx1023/2007 (H9N2) (SD). NP residue K4, located in NLS1, and residue F253, located in NES3, from WSN NP are not conserved in H7N9 and H9N2, which instead encode Q4 and I253, respectively. Crucially, these residues are involved in the regulation of NP nucleocytoplasmic shuttling through interactions with CRM1 and importin-α. Moreover, residues at position 253 also play important roles in the replication of the virus, resulting in an increase in vRNP polymerase activity and an alteration of the cell tropism and pathogenicity in mice. The present data revealed a pivotal role of the Q4 and I253 residues of NP from H7N9 in enhancing the cytoplasmic accumulation of NP and vRNP activity compared to the K4 and F253 residues in WSN-NP. In addition, an F253I substitution in the NP of WSN altered the survival ratio of infected mice and the growth curve in infected avian-origin cells (DF-1). The current data indicate that the F253I mutation results in attenuated pathogenicity of the virus in mice and altered cell tropism. The present study demonstrated the dissimilarity in subcellular NP transport processes between H1N1 virus WSN and other influenza A virus strains, as well as uncovered the mechanism responsible for this difference.
    This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:

H1N1 influenza A virus; nucleocytoplasmic shuttling; nucleoprotein; virus replication

PMID: 27862840 DOI: 10.1111/cmi.12692
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Working...
X