Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curr Probl Cancer . Seasonal influenza vaccination among cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the determinants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curr Probl Cancer . Seasonal influenza vaccination among cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the determinants

Curr Probl Cancer

. 2020 Sep 4;100646.
    doi: 10.1016/j.currproblcancer.2020.100646. Online ahead of print.
    Seasonal influenza vaccination among cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the determinants

George N Okoli 1 , Otto L T Lam 2 , Tiba Abdulwahed 2 , Christine J Neilson 3 , Salaheddin M Mahmud 4 , Ahmed M Abou-Setta 5

Affiliations

Abstract

Cancer patients are among high-risk individuals for whom seasonal influenza vaccine (SIV) is recommended, but rates of vaccination in this subpopulation remain suboptimal; even in jurisdictions with universal influenza vaccination programs. We sought to summarize the evidence to better understand the determinants of SIV uptake (vaccine receipt) among cancer patients. We searched MEDLINE, Embase, and CINAHL from 2000 to February 12, 2020, focusing on articles on the determinants of seasonal influenza vaccination among cancer patients, published in English. Study selection was conducted independently by 2 reviewers. One reviewer extracted data from the included studies and another reviewer checked the extracted data for errors. Outcomes were sociodemographic and health-related factors. We pooled adjusted results from studies using the inverse variance, random-effects method, and reported the odds ratios (OR) and their 95% confidence intervals (CI). Out of 2664 citations, 10 studies (mostly from USA and South Korea) met our eligibility criteria. Overall, being older (OR 2.23, 95% CI 1.46-3.38; I2 92.3%, [6 studies]), a nonsmoker (1.43, 1.32-1.51; I2 0%, [4 studies]), having a chronic illness (1.18, 1.07-1.29; I2 15.7%, [5 studies]), having had a medical check-up in the past year (1.75, 1.65-1.86; I2 0%, [2 studies]), and having health insurance (1.39, 1.13-1.72; I2 21.8%, [3 studies]) were associated with increased SIV uptake. Compared with being African-American, being Caucasian was also associated with increased SIV uptake (1.79, 1.47-2.13; I2 10.7%, [3 studies]). Limited evidence suggests seasonal influenza vaccination among cancer patients may be determined by some sociodemographic and health-related factors. We adapted our previous similar published systematic review (on older adults).

Keywords: Cancer; Determinants; Meta-analysis; Seasonal influenza; Systematic review; Vaccination.

Working...
X