Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Live Attenuated Vaccines against Recent Low⁻and Highly Pathogenic H7N9 Influenza Viruses Are Safe and Immunogenic in Ferrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Live Attenuated Vaccines against Recent Low⁻and Highly Pathogenic H7N9 Influenza Viruses Are Safe and Immunogenic in Ferrets

Vaccines (Basel). 2018 Nov 1;6(4). pii: E74. doi: 10.3390/vaccines6040074.
    Two Live Attenuated Vaccines against Recent Low⁻and Highly Pathogenic H7N9 Influenza Viruses Are Safe and Immunogenic in Ferrets.

Rudenko L1, Kiseleva I2, Krutikova E3, Stepanova E4, Isakova-Sivak I5, Donina S6, Rekstin A7, Pisareva M8, Bazhenova E9, Kotomina T10, Katelnikova A11, Muzhikyan A12, Makarov V13, Sparrow EG14, Torelli G15.
    Author information

Abstract

Influenza H7N9 virus is a potentially pandemic subtype to which most people are immunologically na?ve. To be better prepared for the potential occurrence of an H7N9 pandemic, in 2017 the World Health Organization recommended developing candidate vaccine viruses from two new H7N9 viruses, A/Guangdong/17SF003/2016 (A/GD) and A/Hong Kong/125/2017 (A/HK). This report describes the development of live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) candidates against A/GD and A/HK viruses and study of their safety and immunogenicity in the ferret model in order to choose the most promising one for a phase I clinical trial. The A/HK-based vaccine candidate (A/17/HK) was developed by classical reassortment in eggs. The A/GD-based vaccine candidate (A/17/GD) was generated by reverse genetics. Ferrets were vaccinated with two doses of LAIV or phosphate-buffered saline. Both H7N9 LAIVs tested were safe for ferrets, as shown by absence of clinical signs, and by virological and histological data; they were immunogenic after a single vaccination. These results provide a compelling argument for further testing of these vaccines in volunteers. Since the A/HK virus represents the cluster that has caused the majority of human cases, and because the A/HK-based LAIV candidate was developed by classical reassortment, this is the preferred candidate for a phase I clinical trial.

KEYWORDS:

H7N9; avian influenza; live attenuated influenza vaccine; pandemic threat

PMID: 30388790 DOI: 10.3390/vaccines6040074
    Free full text
Working...
X