Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. Receipt of influenza vaccine during pregnancy among women with live births--Georgia and Rhode Island, 2004-2007.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. Receipt of influenza vaccine during pregnancy among women with live births--Georgia and Rhode Island, 2004-2007.

MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009 Sep 11;58(35):972-5.

Receipt of influenza vaccine during pregnancy among women with live births--Georgia and Rhode Island, 2004-2007.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Pregnant women are at increased risk for complications from influenza. Since 2004, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Obstetric Practice have recommended that all pregnant women be vaccinated with the trivalent inactivated vaccine during any trimester of pregnancy. To assess the percentage of women who were vaccinated during pregnancy among women with recent live births, CDC analyzed data from the Pregnancy Risk Assessment and Monitoring System (PRAMS) from Georgia and Rhode Island, the two states that collected this information on the PRAMS survey. This report summarizes the results, which showed that in Georgia, the prevalence of influenza vaccination during the woman's most recent pregnancy increased from 10.4% in 2004 to 15.5% in 2006. In Rhode Island, vaccination prevalence increased from 21.9% in 2004 to 33.4% in 2007. During 2006 in Georgia, the most common reasons for not receiving vaccination were, "I don't normally get the flu vaccination" (69.4%), and "my physician did not mention anything about a flu vaccine during my pregnancy" (44.5%). Increased efforts are needed to assess vaccine coverage during pregnancy and to educate providers and pregnant women about ACIP and ACOG recommendations on providing intramuscular, inactivated influenza vaccine during any trimester of pregnancy.

PMID: 19745804 [PubMed - in process]

-
    ------
Working...
X