Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luteolin decreases the yield of influenza A virus in vitro by interfering with the coat protein I complex expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luteolin decreases the yield of influenza A virus in vitro by interfering with the coat protein I complex expression

J Nat Med. 2019 Feb 13. doi: 10.1007/s11418-019-01287-7. [Epub ahead of print]
    Luteolin decreases the yield of influenza A virus in vitro by interfering with the coat protein I complex expression.

Yan H1, Ma L2, Wang H1, Wu S1, Huang H3, Gu Z3, Jiang J1, Li Y4.
    Author information

Abstract

Influenza is an acute transmissible respiratory infectious disease in humans and animals with high morbidity and mortality. It was reported that luteolin, extracted from Chinese herbs, could potently inhibit influenza virus replication in vitro. To assess the effect and explore the fundamental mechanism of luteolin, we infected several cell lines with two subtypes of influenza A virus (IAV), including A/Jiangxi/312/2006 (H3N2) and A/Fort Monmouth/1/1947 (H1N1) and demonstrated that luteolin suppressed the replication of IAV by cytopathic effect reduction method, qRT-PCR, immunofluorescence and Western blot assays. A time-of-addition assay indicated that this compound interfered with viral replication at the early stage of infection. In addition, we found that luteolin suppressed coat protein I complex expression, which was related to influenza virus entry and endocytic pathway. Overall, our findings demonstrated the antiviral effect of luteolin against IAV and its novel antiviral mechanism.

KEYWORDS:

Antiviral activity; COPI; Influenza A virus; Luteolin

PMID: 30758716 DOI: 10.1007/s11418-019-01287-7
Working...
X