Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cytokine Storm & Vitamin D relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cytokine Storm & Vitamin D relationship?

Can't find the video but here are the statements on his website.

at yippy: News - Latest topics & trends from Vitamin D. Stay informed and up to date with us!

He mentions it several times. His fear is that taking only 1,000 to 2,000 IU's may not be enough and will actually cause the cytokine storm. I'll paste it here...

"For reasons I will discuss below, I think it possible that Vitamin D levels of 30 ng/mL, which are often obtained by people taking low doses of Vitamin D (1,000–2,000 IU/day), may increase your risk of death from a 1918-like influenza virus."

"As I have written before, 25(OH)D levels are like water from a mountain spring. The topmost pool is the calcium economy. When that pool is full, excess 25(OH)D flows down to hundreds of pools below, cancer, heart disease, infection, etc. In a lethal pandemic, you want Vitamin D to do two things, increase production of natural antibiotics (AMPs) and quell excessive immune responses. Are these two pools at the same level? Is the AMP pool above the cytokine dampening pool? If so, people with 25(OH)D levels of 30 ng/mL may have enough D to strengthen their innate immunity but not enough to prevent the cytokine storm that kills in a lethal pandemic. Thus, people taking only 1,000–2,000 IU/day, with levels around 30 ng/mL, may risk death from a cytokine storm their body is unable to prevent. While only a theory, it would explain why the people with the allegedly highest 25(OH)D levels in both Mexico and 1918 (young adults) were the most likely to die. That is why I caution people that, if you are going to take Vitamin D, take enough, take 5,000 IU/day, which is usually enough to get your 25(OH)D levels into the mid range of the reference range (30–100 ng/mL), which would be 50–70 ng/mL."

Comment

Originally posted by Mcatucci View Post
      Can't find the video but here are the statements on his website.

at yippy: News - Latest topics & trends from Vitamin D. Stay informed and up to date with us!

He mentions it several times. His fear is that taking only 1,000 to 2,000 IU's may not be enough and will actually cause the cytokine storm. I'll paste it here...

"For reasons I will discuss below, I think it possible that Vitamin D levels of 30 ng/mL, which are often obtained by people taking low doses of Vitamin D (1,000?2,000 IU/day), may increase your risk of death from a 1918-like influenza virus."

"As I have written before, 25(OH)D levels are like water from a mountain spring. The topmost pool is the calcium economy. When that pool is full, excess 25(OH)D flows down to hundreds of pools below, cancer, heart disease, infection, etc. In a lethal pandemic, you want Vitamin D to do two things, increase production of natural antibiotics (AMPs) and quell excessive immune responses. Are these two pools at the same level? Is the AMP pool above the cytokine dampening pool? If so, people with 25(OH)D levels of 30 ng/mL may have enough D to strengthen their innate immunity but not enough to prevent the cytokine storm that kills in a lethal pandemic. Thus, people taking only 1,000?2,000 IU/day, with levels around 30 ng/mL, may risk death from a cytokine storm their body is unable to prevent. While only a theory, it would explain why the people with the allegedly highest 25(OH)D levels in both Mexico and 1918 (young adults) were the most likely to die. That is why I caution people that, if you are going to take Vitamin D, take enough, take 5,000 IU/day, which is usually enough to get your 25(OH)D levels into the mid range of the reference range (30?100 ng/mL), which would be 50?70 ng/mL."
      Is this the video you had in mind?
      "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Seems to me just take all the vitamins you safely can, don't worry about optimum levels of VD.
        A dose of common sense: It may help, it may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcatucci View Post
          "For reasons I will discuss below, I think it possible that Vitamin D levels of 30 ng/mL, which are often obtained by people taking low doses of Vitamin D (1,000?2,000 IU/day), may increase your risk of death from a 1918-like influenza virus."
          I find this very concerning. My family have been taking 1000 iu D3 per day for the last month or more as I thought it was a sensible precaution to build up the D3. Now it is indicated that this may be doing more harm than good in my three sons in their late teens, early twenties. To take 5000 iu is 5 tablets per day (I can ony find 1000iu tablets) - I don't think my family will agree to this. I have one son doing a "year-out" in Germany - teaching in a secondary school! He is definately susceptible to catching this virus.

Bit of a Catch22 arising in my mind.

Can anybody else express further thoughts on this matter?
          Humans are just animals like all the other species. We have no more right to life than any other animal from the planet's perspective. Prepare for surprises!

Comment

It didn't say not taking enough would cause a cytokine storm!

If so, people with 25(OH)D levels of 30 ng/mL may have enough D to strengthen their innate immunity but not enough to prevent the cytokine storm that kills in a lethal pandemic. Thus, people taking only 1,000?2,000 IU/day, with levels around 30 ng/mL, may risk death from a cytokine storm their body is unable to prevent. While only a theory,......
            Best advice is still to get your D levels tested and do whatever is necessary to get into the 50-80ng/mL range, then retest if necessary.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

#325: "To take 5000 iu is 5 tablets per day (I can ony find 1000iu tablets) - I don't think my family will agree to this."

The #326 suggestion is reasonable.

Stil, droping in 5 tablets per day of whatsoever is challenging.

Once, it were only the daily meals, pure water intake (not everywhere), pure air and normal filtered sun. Now we have all of the above altered, and a need for artifact tablets of vitamins, minerals, etc.

It seems an 21 century blowing of un-naturals.

If vitD3 is urgently needed, it must be recommended from "above" health vertics and inserted, as it was by iodine and salt.

If that move is postponed, is it better to stick on without tablet dropings, or this non-instructions are missleading because of what reasons?: conspirative?; oportunistic?; handwashing?; ...

Do we start droping in vitamin pills (as did some folks) of: C-vit, D3vit, A-vit, ... vit ...

with no clear official worldwide guideliness = if the vitD3 levels are normal range, additional intake is an private decision only,

with an accepted potential body endangering or maybe contrary, a healing ...

Comment

Originally posted by tropical View Post
                #325: "To take 5000 iu is 5 tablets per day (I can ony find 1000iu tablets) - I don't think my family will agree to this."
                It was mentioned earlier that they sell 1000U in gummy gums, and I also have seen it in chocolates.

Comment

I order my 5000 iu Vit. D3 tabs (dosage 1 tab) from prohealthdotcom. I have no interests in this company or any vitamin companies.
                  It is the only place I could find a single 5000 iu tab.

I think a Doctor should be consulted before taking this many iu's.

Comment

Originally posted by marcovth View Post
                    It was mentioned earlier that they sell 1000U in gummy gums, and I also have seen it in chocolates.
                    Thanks marcovth,

but I'm not sure the gummy idea is better, cause somewhere was wroted about toxic compounds used in chewing gums, so maybe the gummy gums could have it also ...

well, if we read the tablets box label, we can found plenty of colorant/../ additionals also, so ...

a ruined ozone layer rays shine alternative ...

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
                      It didn't say not taking enough would cause a cytokine storm!

Best advice is still to get your D levels tested and do whatever is necessary to get into the 50-80ng/mL range, then retest if necessary.

The line you quoted does shed a different light on it, but the first line where he states it, does make it sound like it is caused by taking that amount of D wouldn't you agree?

So you're interpretation of what he said is that in a 1918 type of flu, where the risk of a cytokine storm is very high, it's not the amount of D you are taking that will cause the storm, it's that the storm with this kind of flu will be coming anyway and only those with higher levels will be able to fight it off? I honestly didn't look at it that way, but it does make sense.

The way I interpreted it was that it would be better not to supplement at all and have lower levels of D so as not to kick start your immune system (which is what causes the cytokine storm to begin with) than to supplement with 1 or 2,000 IU's and have just enough to give a robust immune response and therefore trigger the cytokine storm.

I realize just supplementing with the higher doses would eliminate this conversation but unfortunately I am one of those people stuck on blood pressure meds that contain hydrochlorothiazide, which when taken with high doses of D3 could cause nasty reactions. So I have started with just 1,000 IU's per day until I can find a doctor who understands the relationship between D AND DIURETICS. Unfortunately my family doc does not.

-Mike

Comment

I purchased some higher dose D3 online at very reasonable prices.
                        The delivery was quick too.

"There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                        "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Would you agree that if you were a sailor in 1918, you would be exposed to a lot of sun light? (Except if you were to shuffle coal all the time.)

How come there were so many flu out brakes on ships reported in 1918 ?

I guess the food was a lot less healthy on ships than for farmers who were exposed a lot to the sun as well?

If I remember well, the flu-VitD relationship was found by comparing the 1918 city vs farm death rates, right?

Comment

bump this.

Comment

I have to say, I do not think Vitamin D helped my son. June19, he tested as Total D, 25 OH as 21 (D2-8, D3-13). This would be, according to the lab, in the insufficient range. June30, I began him on 1,000IU a day and encouraged more time in the sun. I got a script on July13, and he began 50,000IU twice a week. He had been doing this up to Oct27 when he became ill (headache, coughing, 103.6F, body pains, and stuffy nose). I have not had his levels checked again, but one would think they would have gone up in this 3-4 month period of time.

But, then again, perhaps he would have had many complications. He is 21, obese, asthmatic. The Tamiflu helped bring temp down for a couple of days when Tylenol/Ibuprofen combo would not--then almost too low at 96.6F yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X