Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novel anti-viral characteristics of nanosized copper(I) iodide particles showing inactivation activity against 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novel anti-viral characteristics of nanosized copper(I) iodide particles showing inactivation activity against 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus

Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print]
    Novel anti-viral characteristics of nanosized copper(I) iodide particles showing inactivation activity against 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus.
    Fujimori Y, Sato T, Hayata T, Nagao T, Nakayama M, Nakayama T, Sugamata R, Suzuki K.
    Source

NBC Meshtec Inc., Toyoda 2-50-3, Hino, Tokyo 191-0053, Japan.
    Abstract

We investigated the anti-viral activity of nanosized copper(I) iodide (CuI) particles having an average size of 160 nm. CuI particles showed aqueous stability and generated hydroxyl radicals, which were probably derived from monovalent copper (Cu(+)). We confirmed that CuI particles showed anti-viral activity against an influenza virus A of swine origin (pandemic (H1N1) 2009) on plaque titration assay. Virus titer decreased in a dose-dependent manner upon incubation with CuI particles, with the 50% effective concentration being approximately 17 μg/mL after exposure for 60 min. SDS-PAGE analysis confirmed inactivation of the virus due to degradation of viral proteins such as hemagglutinin and neuraminidase by CuI. ESR spectroscopy revealed that CuI generates hydroxyl radicals in aqueous solution, and radical production was found to be blocked by the radical scavenger N-acetylcysteine. Taken together, these findings indicate that CuI particles exert anti-viral activity by generating hydroxyl radicals. Thus, CuI may be a useful material for protecting against viral attacks, and may be suitable for applications such as filters, face masks, protective clothing and kitchen cloths.

PMID:
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

We investigated the antiviral activity of nanosized copper(I) iodide (CuI) particles having an average size of 160 nm. CuI particles showed aqueous stability and generated hydroxyl radicals, which were probably derived from monovalent copper (Cu(+)). We confirmed that CuI particles showed antiviral …
Working...
X