Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aging Adults and Seasonal Influenza: Does the Vitamin D Status (H)Arm the Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging Adults and Seasonal Influenza: Does the Vitamin D Status (H)Arm the Body?

J Aging Res. 2012;2012:806198. Epub 2011 Nov 15.
    Aging Adults and Seasonal Influenza: Does the Vitamin D Status (H)Arm the Body?
    Lang PO, Samaras D.
    Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, Medical School and University Hospitals of Geneva, Hospital of Trois-Ch?ne, Chemin du Pont-Bochet 3, CH-1226 Th?nex-Geneva, Switzerland.
    Abstract

Vitamin D (VitD), although originally described as an essential hormone for bone and mineral homeostasis, appears to have an active role in regulating specific facets of human immunity. Indeed, VitD has been shown to have significant effects on cytokine production and lymphocyte proliferation. Evidence that VitD affects clearance of selected pathogens is supported by epidemiological and clinical data, while its coadministration with influenza vaccine in mice enhanced both mucosal and systemic antibody responses. This paper aims to examine how VitD may contribute to limiting the burden of influenza infection in the aging and aged adults, a population in which this burden remains considerable. Furthermore, we discuss how VitD status may play a role in host resistance to influenza virus and influence the immunogenicity of the influenza vaccines currently licensed for adults aged 65 years or over by its effects on innate and adaptive immunities.

PMID:
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Vitamin D (VitD), although originally described as an essential hormone for bone and mineral homeostasis, appears to have an active role in regulating specific facets of human immunity. Indeed, VitD has been shown to have significant effects on cytokine production and lymphocyte proliferation. Evide …

Re: Aging Adults and Seasonal Influenza: Does the Vitamin D Status (H)Arm the Body?

Good news for seniors. Easy, cheap and looks promising.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Working...
    X