Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emerg Infect Dis. Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand?Myanmar Border, May?October 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerg Infect Dis. Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand?Myanmar Border, May?October 2009

Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand?Myanmar Border (Emerg Infect Dis., abstract, edited)

[Source: Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal, <cite cite="http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/16/9/1366.htm">Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand?Myanmar Border | CDC EID</cite>. Abstract, edited.]

Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand?Myanmar Border, May?October 2009

Paul Turner, Claudia L. Turner, Wanitda Watthanaworawit, Verena I. Carrara, Bryan K. Kapella, John Painter, and Fran?ois H. Nosten

Author affiliations: Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Thailand (P. Turner, C.L. Turner, W. Watthanaworawit, V.I. Carrara, F.H. Nosten); Mahidol?Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Bangkok, Thailand (P. Turner, C.L. Turner, W. Watthanaworawit, V.I. Carrara, F.H. Nosten); University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (P. Turner, C.L. Turner, F.H. Nosten); and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA (B.K. Kapella, J. Painter)

Abstract

We describe the epidemiology of influenza virus infections in refugees in a camp in rural Southeast Asia during May?October 2009, the first 6 months after identification of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Thailand. Influenza A viruses were detected in 20% of patients who had influenza-like illness and in 23% of those who had clinical pneumonia. Seasonal influenza A (H1N1) was the predominant virus circulating during weeks 26?33 (June 25?August 29) and was subsequently replaced by the pandemic strain. A review of passive surveillance for acute respiratory infection did not show an increase in acute respiratory tract infection incidence associated with the arrival of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in the camp.

-
    -----
Working...
X