Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video & Media report: Penn State University director of athletic medicine says 30-35% among COVID-19 positive Big 10 athletes have inflamed heart muscles ( myocarditis ) - September 3, 2020 - now disclaimed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video & Media report: Penn State University director of athletic medicine says 30-35% among COVID-19 positive Big 10 athletes have inflamed heart muscles ( myocarditis ) - September 3, 2020 - now disclaimed

hat tip Ronan Kelly

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

BY PARTH UPADHYAYA

SEPTEMBER 03, 2020 10:58 AM

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”
    https://www.centredaily.com/sports/c...245448050.html

CORRECTION: Penn State Health later clarified that the 30-35% figure pertaining to COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes verbally shared with Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli by a colleague was actually published at the lower rate of 15%. He was unaware of that when he made his comments at the State College school board meeting, a spokesperson said.

CORRECTED SEP 3, 2020
    Added yesterday - Ro
    Last edited by Ronan Kelly; September 4, 2020, 11:34 AM.

Penn State Director of Athletic Medicine Video Statement on COVID-19 positive athletes and myocarditis.

Start at 55:00

Comment

hat tip Suzan

Ok....I watched the video above...but here is a disclaimer today....

Kyle Bonagura

@BonaguraESPN
      Regarding the claim that 30-35% of Big Ten athletes have been discovered to have heart conditions linked to Covid-19: It was incorrect. Here is some clarification from Penn State. "Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point, and apologize for any confusion."

6:13 PM ? Sep 3, 2020?Twitter Web App

Comment

In the clarified statement, the 30-35% number of Big Ten athletes experiencing a heart issue after testing positive for the coronavirus that Sebastianelli said to the board was incorrect.

This number was verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, but was published at a lower rate.

The research was not conducted by Sebastianelli or Penn State.

Penn State also confirmed their have been no cases of myocarditis in Penn State student-athletes that have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Comment

That lower rate is 15% (see first post of this thread) so still not insignificant.
          Twitter: @RonanKelly13
          The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Of course the study he misquoted is not published yet so there is no way to verify his mistake:

"This number was verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, but was published at a lower rate.

The research was not conducted by Sebastianelli or Penn State."

Comment

Dr Daniels discussing myocarditis with Gov DeWine (from Aug13). Suggests 10-13% of athletes who have tested positive that they evaluated https://www.nbc4i.com/video/gov-dewi...letes/5760058/
              The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
                hat tip Ronan Kelly

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

BY PARTH UPADHYAYA

SEPTEMBER 03, 2020 10:58 AM

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/c...245448050.html

CORRECTION: Penn State Health later clarified that the 30-35% figure pertaining to COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes verbally shared with Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli by a colleague was actually published at the lower rate of 15%. He was unaware of that when he made his comments at the State College school board meeting, a spokesperson said.

CORRECTED SEP 3, 2020
                Added yesterday - Ro
                So what the correction made by the original reporter says to me is that Dr. Sebastianelli thought he heard 30-35% but the paper was published (where is it?) at the rate of 15%. I do not think the doctor is an inexact person. It is very hard to get a medical license in the United States and he appears to have a very good reputation. So either he had a lapse of mental acuity or the paper was changed before final approval to be published (and/or published).

In any event, via the video in post # 2 above, he thought the rate at which COVID-19 positive Big 10 athletes had heart inflammation in cardiac muscle (indicated by a cardiac MRI scan) was "alarming".

Comment

Close to home. Cross town rivals here in Philly. No details on COD yet. - Ro

La Salle High School football player dies after practice
                  by Phil Anastasia, Posted: September 5, 2020- 3:29 PM

Comment

Working...
                  X