• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Price We Pay

wow, this one isnt pulling any punches!
    Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
    Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
    Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
    Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
    Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
    To weave it into fabric..
    Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
    All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Re: The Price We Pay

How can anyone read this and not want to prep? - unless they follow an "eat, drink, & be merry, for tomorrow we may die" philosophy.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise
      How can anyone read this and not want to prep? - unless they follow an "eat, drink, & be merry, for tomorrow we may die" philosophy.

"Eat, drink, & be merry, for tomorrow we die" is also rampaging at epidemic proportions.

Between 9/11, Iraq, and Katrina...the public willingness to deal with a coming disaster that will make them all insignificant by comparison--just isnt there.

Comment

Originally posted by 4-ABBA
        ....Between 9/11, Iraq, and Katrina...the public willingness to deal with a coming disaster that will make them all insignificant by comparison--just isnt there.
        The events you mentioned are all localized events that most of the world watched on TV. It did not directly affect those TV watchers. There is a disbelief that there could be a worldwide calamity in this day and age. We have to look back to World War II and maybe even further back to the 1918 pandemic to find an event that had worldwide impacts. Its seems that every couple of generations, the world has to relearn old lessons.
        http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback Al
          The events you mentioned are all localized events that most of the world watched on TV. It did not directly affect those TV watchers. There is a disbelief that there could be a worldwide calamity in this day and age. We have to look back to World War II and maybe even further back to the 1918 pandemic to find an event that had worldwide impacts. Its seems that every couple of generations, the world has to relearn old lessons.
          Good point, Al. I was just thinking of the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. Perhaps that is the only time in the last 50 years where (at least in the U.S.) - the population as a whole was in fear of its very existence.

I recall as a child the air raid drills in elementary school. We had many of them. (I lived in Los Angeles--a certain target.) The air raid drills were frightenng. I was young--but I knew even my parents were frightened. So was our teacher.

We need to be frightened--enough to seek a shelter. In that sense--'we the people' need to be "panicked".

Comment

My post is redundant with
            http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...ed=1#post50893 but also fits here.

I happened to hear Dr. Greger speak tonight on the University of Florida campus. Overall he gave an outstanding presentation with emphasis on shelter in place preparedness and hygiene in addition to changes in the way we use farm poultry. I am sure any of us could find points of differences with his thesis but overall I believe he has made a substantive contribution to the preparedness effort.

I note in a quick perusal that he mentions fluwiki http://birdflubook.com/a.php?id=88

Each individual community is responsible for preparing its own pandemic plan; preparation begins with each family, each circle of friends, each neighborhood, each business, each township. To this end, a fledgling ?experiment in collaborative problem solving in public health? was launched called The Flu Wiki, available free for anyone to use at www.fluwikie.com, whose explicit purpose is to help local communities prepare for and cope with a pandemic outbreak. It is based on the ?wikipedia? model of nonprofit, internet-based collaboration to share knowledge and ideas from around the world. Its success depends on the level and quality of public participation.
            He has a contact section so I will send him a copy of the flutrackers.com mission statement.
            JT
            Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

Working...
            X