Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethical and Philosophical Considerations for Gain-of-Function Policy: The Importance of Alternate Experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical and Philosophical Considerations for Gain-of-Function Policy: The Importance of Alternate Experiments

Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2018 Feb 8;6:11. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2018.00011. eCollection 2018.
    Ethical and Philosophical Considerations for Gain-of-Function Policy: The Importance of Alternate Experiments.

Evans NG1.
    Author information

Abstract

The Department of Health and Human Services Framework for Guiding Funding Decisions about Proposed Research Involving Enhanced Potential Pandemic Pathogens (PPPs) contains a series of principles for governing the funding and conduct of gain-of-function (GOF) research resulting in the creation of PPPs. In this article, I address one of these principles, governing the replacement of GOF research with alternate experiments. I argue that the principle fails to address the way that different experiments can promote the same values as those promoted by GOF research resulting in PPPs. I then address some objections to this claim, and provide policy recommendations moving forward.

KEYWORDS:

bioethics; biosafety; biosecurity; coronavirus; dual-use research; gain-of-function; highly pathogenic avian influenza virus

PMID: 29473036 PMCID: PMC5809449 DOI: 10.3389/fbioe.2018.00011
Working...
X