Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiol J . Diagnostic value of lactate dehydrogenase in COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardiol J . Diagnostic value of lactate dehydrogenase in COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Cardiol J

. 2022 Jun 28.
    doi: 10.5603/CJ.a2022.0056. Online ahead of print.
    Diagnostic value of lactate dehydrogenase in COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Bartosz Fialek 1 , Michal Pruc 2 , Jacek Smereka 2 3 , Rafal Jas 4 , Mansur Rahnama-Hezavah 5 , Andrea Denegri 6 , Agnieszka Szarpak 7 , Milosz J Jaguszewski 8 , Frank W Peacock 9 , Lukasz Szarpak 10

Affiliations

Abstract

Background: This meta-analysis outlines the role of elevated lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels in assessing the severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
    Methods: The current study was designed as a systematic review and meta-analysis. Embase, PubMed, Web of Science, Scopus and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials were searched to identify the usefulness of LDH as a marker of COVID-19 severity. All extracted data were analyzed using RevMan V.5.4 or STATA V.14 software.
    Results: A total of 264 records were selected for this meta-analysis. Pooled analysis showed that LDH levels were statistically significantly lower in the group of survivors compared to patients who died in hospital (standardized mean differences [SMD] = -3.10; 95% confidence interval [CI]: -3.40 to -2.79; I² = 99%; p < 0.001). Lower LDH levels were observed in non-severe groups compared to severe course of COVID-19 (SMD = -2.38; 95% CI: -2.61 to -2.14; I² = 99%; p < 0.001). The level of LDH was statistically significantly lower in the severe group compared to the critical group (SMD = -1.48; 95% CI: -2.04 to -0.92; I² = 98%; p < 0.001). Patients who did not require treatment in the intensive care unit (ICU) showed significantly lower levels of LDH compared to patients who required treatment in the ICU (SMD = -3.78; 95% CI: -4.48 to -3.08; I² = 100%; p < 0.001).
    Conclusions: This meta-analysis showed that elevated LDH was associated with a poor outcome in COVID-19.

Keywords: COVID-19; LDH; SARS-CoV-2; lactate dehydrogenase; marker; meta-analysis; severity.

Working...
X