Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J Biol Chem . DDX3X coordinates host defense against influenza virus by activating the NLRP3 inflammasome and type I interferon response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Biol Chem . DDX3X coordinates host defense against influenza virus by activating the NLRP3 inflammasome and type I interferon response

J Biol Chem

. 2021 Mar 22;100579.
    doi: 10.1016/j.jbc.2021.100579. Online ahead of print.
    DDX3X coordinates host defense against influenza virus by activating the NLRP3 inflammasome and type I interferon response

Sannula Kesavardhana 1 , Parimal Samir 2 , Min Zheng 2 , R K Subbarao Malireddi 2 , Rajendra Karki 2 , Bhesh Raj Sharma 2 , David E Place 2 , Benoit Briard 2 , Peter Vogel 3 , Thirumala-Devi Kanneganti 4

Affiliations

Abstract

Viruses and hosts have coevolved for millions of years, leading to the development of complex host-pathogen interactions. Influenza A virus (IAV) causes severe pulmonary pathology and is a recurrent threat to human health. Innate immune sensing of IAV triggers a complex chain of host responses. IAV has adapted to evade host defense mechanisms, and the host has coevolved to counteract these evasion strategies. However, the molecular mechanisms governing the balance between host defense and viral immune evasion is poorly understood. Here, we show that the host protein DDX3X is critical to orchestrate a multifaceted anti-viral innate response during IAV infection, coordinating the activation of the nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain-like receptor with a pyrin domain 3 (NLRP3) inflammasome, assembly of stress granules, and type I interferon (IFN) responses. DDX3X activated the NLRP3 inflammasome in response to wild type IAV, which carries the immune evasive non-structural protein 1 (NS1). However, in the absence of NS1, DDX3X promoted the formation of stress granules that facilitated efficient activation of type I IFN signaling. Moreover, induction of DDX3X-containing stress granules by external stimuli following IAV infection led to increased type I IFN signaling, suggesting that NS1 actively inhibits stress granule-mediated host responses, and DDX3X-mediated NLRP3 activation counteracts this action. Furthermore, loss of DDX3X expression in myeloid cells caused severe pulmonary pathogenesis and morbidity in IAV-infected mice. Together, our findings show that DDX3X orchestrates alternate modes of innate host defense which are critical to fight against NS1-mediated immune evasion strategies during IAV infection.

Keywords: DDX3X; NLRP3; NS1; anti-viral activity; host defense; immune evasion; inflammasome; influenza A virus; innate immunity; stress granule; type I IFN.

Working...
X