Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The RNA Helicase DDX6 Associates with RIG-I to Augment Induction of Antiviral Signaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RNA Helicase DDX6 Associates with RIG-I to Augment Induction of Antiviral Signaling

Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Jun 26;19(7). pii: E1877. doi: 10.3390/ijms19071877.
    The RNA Helicase DDX6 Associates with RIG-I to Augment Induction of Antiviral Signaling.

N??ez RD1, Budt M2, Saenger S3, Paki K4, Arnold U5, Sadewasser A6, Wolff T7.
    Author information

Abstract

Virus infections induce sensitive antiviral responses within the host cell. The RNA helicase retinoic acid-inducible gene I (RIG-I) is a key sensor of influenza virus RNA that induces the expression of antiviral type I interferons. Recent evidence suggests a complex pattern of RIG-I regulation involving multiple interactions and cellular sites. In an approach employing affinity purification and quantitative mass spectrometry, we identified proteins with increased binding to RIG-I in response to influenza B virus infection. Among them was the RIG-I related RNA helicase DEAD box helicase 6 (DDX6), a known component of cytoplasmic mRNA-ribonucleoprotein (mRNP) granules like P-bodies and stress granules (SGs). RIG-I and DDX6 both localized to the cytosol and were detected in virus-induced SGs. Coimmunoprecipitation assays detected a basal level of complexes harboring RIG-I and DDX6 that increased after infection. Functionally, DDX6 augmented RIG-I mediated induction of interferon (IFN)-β expression. Notably, DDX6 was found to bind viral RNA capable to stimulate RIG-I. These findings imply a novel function for DDX6 as an RNA co-sensor and signaling enhancer for RIG-I.

KEYWORDS:

DDX6; RIG-I; influenza; interferon

PMID: 29949917 DOI: 10.3390/ijms19071877
Working...
X