Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casein kinase 1α mediates degradation of receptors for type I and type II interferons caused by hemagglutinin of influenza A virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casein kinase 1α mediates degradation of receptors for type I and type II interferons caused by hemagglutinin of influenza A virus

J Virol. 2018 Jan 17. pii: JVI.00006-18. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00006-18. [Epub ahead of print]
    Casein kinase 1α mediates degradation of receptors for type I and type II interferons caused by hemagglutinin of influenza A virus.

Xia C1, Wolf JJ1, Vijayan M1, Studstill CJ1, Ma W2, Hahm B3.
    Author information

Abstract

Although influenza A virus (IAV) evades cellular defense systems to effectively propagate in the host, the viral immune evasive mechanisms are incompletely understood. Our recent data showed that hemagglutinin (HA) of IAV induces degradation of type I IFN receptor 1 (IFNAR1). Here, we demonstrate that IAV HA induces degradation of type II IFN (IFN-γ) receptor 1 (IFNGR1) as well as IFNAR1 via casein kinase 1α (CK1α), resulting in the impairment of cellular responsiveness to both type I and II IFNs. IAV infection or transient HA expression induced degradation of both IFNGR1 and IFNAR1, whereas HA gene-deficient IAV failed to downregulate the receptors. IAV HA caused the phosphorylation and ubiquitination of IFNGR1, leading to the lysosome-dependent degradation of IFNGR1. Influenza viral HA strongly decreased cellular sensitivity to type II IFNs, as it suppressed the activation of STAT1 and the induction of IFN-γ-stimulated genes in response to exogenously supplied recombinant IFN-γ. Importantly, CK1α, but not p38 MAP kinase or protein kinase D2, was proven to be critical for HA-induced degradation of both IFNGR1 and IFNAR1. Pharmacologic inhibition of CK1α or siRNA-based knockdown of CK1α repressed the degradation process of both IFNGR1 and IFNAR1 triggered by IAV infection. Further, CK1α was shown to be pivotal for proficient replication of IAV. Collectively, the results suggest that IAV HA induces degradation of IFN receptors via CK1α, creating a condition favorable for viral propagation. Therefore, the study uncovers a new immune evasive pathway of influenza virus.IMPORTANCE Influenza A virus (IAV) remains a grave threat to humans by causing seasonal and pandemic influenza. Upon infection, the innate and adaptive immunity such as the interferon (IFN) response is induced to protect hosts against IAV infection. However, IAV seems to be equipped with tactics to evade the IFN-mediated antiviral responses. Yet, the detailed mechanisms need to be elucidated. In the present study, we show that IAV HA induces the degradation of type II IFN receptor, IFNGR1 and thereby substantially attenuates cellular responses to IFN-γ. Of note, a cellular kinase, casein kinase 1α (CK1α) is crucial for IAV HA-induced degradation of both IFNGR1 and IFNAR1. Accordingly, CK1α is proven to positively regulate IAV propagation. Thus, this study unveils a novel strategy employed by IAV to evade IFN-mediated antiviral activities. These findings may cast new insights into the interplay between IAV and host immunity to impact influenza pathogenicity.

PMID: 29343571 DOI: 10.1128/JVI.00006-18
Working...
X