Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Lyase Enhances the Activation of IKKε To Promote Type I IFN-Mediated Innate Immune Responses to Influenza A Virus Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Lyase Enhances the Activation of IKKε To Promote Type I IFN-Mediated Innate Immune Responses to Influenza A Virus Infection

J Immunol. 2017 Jun 9. pii: ji1601959. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1601959. [Epub ahead of print]
    Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Lyase Enhances the Activation of IKKε To Promote Type I IFN-Mediated Innate Immune Responses to Influenza A Virus Infection.

Vijayan M1,2, Xia C1,2, Song YE2, Ngo H1,2, Studstill CJ1,2, Drews K3, Fox TE4, Johnson MC2, Hiscott J5, Kester M4, Alexander S6, Hahm B7,2.
    Author information

Abstract

Sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P) lyase (SPL) is an intracellular enzyme that mediates the irreversible degradation of the bioactive lipid S1P. We have previously reported that overexpressed SPL displays anti-influenza viral activity; however, the underlying mechanism is incompletely understood. In this study, we demonstrate that SPL functions as a positive regulator of IKKε to propel type I IFN-mediated innate immune responses against viral infection. Exogenous SPL expression inhibited influenza A virus replication, which correlated with an increase in type I IFN production and IFN-stimulated gene accumulation upon infection. In contrast, the lack of SPL expression led to an elevated cellular susceptibility to influenza A virus infection. In support of this, SPL-deficient cells were defective in mounting an effective IFN response when stimulated by influenza viral RNAs. SPL augmented the activation status of IKKε and enhanced the kinase-induced phosphorylation of IRF3 and the synthesis of type I IFNs. However, the S1P degradation-incompetent form of SPL also enhanced IFN responses, suggesting that SPL's pro-IFN function is independent of S1P. Biochemical analyses revealed that SPL, as well as the mutant form of SPL, interacts with IKKε. Importantly, when endogenous IKKε was downregulated using a small interfering RNA approach, SPL's anti-influenza viral activity was markedly suppressed. This indicates that IKKε is crucial for SPL-mediated inhibition of influenza virus replication. Thus, the results illustrate the functional significance of the SPL-IKKε-IFN axis during host innate immunity against viral infection.
    Copyright ? 2017 by The American Association of Immunologists, Inc.

PMID: 28600291 DOI: 10.4049/jimmunol.1601959
Working...
X