Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIPK3 Is Largely Dispensable for RIG-I-Like Receptor- and Type I Interferon-Driven Transcriptional Responses to Influenza A Virus in Murine Fibroblasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIPK3 Is Largely Dispensable for RIG-I-Like Receptor- and Type I Interferon-Driven Transcriptional Responses to Influenza A Virus in Murine Fibroblasts

PLoS One. 2016 Jul 8;11(7):e0158774. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0158774. eCollection 2016.
    RIPK3 Is Largely Dispensable for RIG-I-Like Receptor- and Type I Interferon-Driven Transcriptional Responses to Influenza A Virus in Murine Fibroblasts.

Nogusa S1, Slifker MJ2, Ingram JP1, Thapa RJ1, Balachandran S1.
    Author information

Abstract

The kinase RIPK3 is a key regulator of cell death responses to a growing number of viral and microbial agents. We have found that influenza A virus (IAV)-mediated cell death is largely reliant on RIPK3 and that RIPK3-deficient mice are notably more susceptible to lethal infection by IAV than their wild-type counterparts. Recent studies demonstrate that RIPK3 also participates in regulating gene transcription programs during host pro-inflammatory and innate-immune responses, indicating that this kinase is not solely an inducer of cell death and that RIPK3-driven transcriptional responses may collaborate with cell death in promoting clearance of IAV. Here, we carried out DNA microarray analyses to determine the contribution of RIPK3 to the IAV-elicited host transcriptional response. We report that RIPK3 does not contribute significantly to the RLR-activated transcriptome or to the induction of type I IFN genes, although, interestingly, IFN-β production at a post-transcriptional step was modestly attenuated in IAV-infected ripk3-/- fibroblasts. Overall, RIPK3 regulated the expression of <5% of the IAV-induced transcriptome, and no genes were found to be obligate RIPK3 targets. IFN-β signaling was also found to be largely normal in the absence of RIPK3. Together, these results indicate that RIPK3 is not essential for the host antiviral transcriptional response to IAV in murine fibroblasts.

PMID: 27391363 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0158774
    [PubMed - in process] Free full text
Working...
X