X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature. Pandemics: good hygiene is not enough

Pandemics: good hygiene is not enough : Article : Nature
    Commentary

Nature 459, 322-323 (21 May 2009) | doi:10.1038/459322a; Published online 20 May 2009

Pandemics: good hygiene is not enough

Peter M. Sandman1
    1. Peter M. Sandman is a risk-communication consultant, 59 Ridgeview Road, Princeton, New Jersey 08540-7601, USA. Email: peter@psandman.com

Abstract

The US government is doing well to communicate uncertainty over swine flu. It must also help the public to visualize what a bad pandemic might be like, says Peter M. Sandman.

Hygiene is useful, but getting ready for a pandemic also requires stocking up on key supplies.

By the time you read this, the outbreak of H1N1 'swine flu' may no longer seem to be a worldwide threat and the disease may have receded from the headlines. As the initial fuss dies down, public-health experts will remain on high alert, but the media and public will move on to something else, muttering about fear-mongering.

And whatever the situation is like now, it won't be the end of the story. A mutated virus (more virulent or transmissible or resistant to drugs) could appear a few months later.

As a risk-communication professional, I have been watching the US government walk a tightrope between over-reassurance and over-alarm about a swine-flu outbreak that could easily turn out to be devastating, relatively mild or anywhere in between. The United States hasn't issued false reassurances that they will keep the pandemic from 'our' shores ? a temptation to which dozens of governments have succumbed. Here I will show what else I think the country is doing right ? and wrong.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is doing a superb job of explaining the current situation and how uncertain it is. The reiteration of uncertainty and what that means ? advice may change; local strategies may differ ? has been unprecedentedly good.

The CDC's biggest failure is in not doing enough to help people visualize what a bad pandemic might be like so they can understand and start preparing for the worst.

For the ordinary citizen, the US government has so far recommended only hygiene. It has told people to stay at home if they are sick and to wash their hands. It hasn't told people to stock up on food, water, prescription medicines or other key supplies. Two years ago in response to 'bird flu' worries, Mike Leavitt, the then US secretary of health and human services (HHS), was criss-crossing the country with that advice (http://www.pandemicflu.gov). Today, CDC officials won't say whether it is still good advice. It is. Why are officials so wary of describing the worst case vividly and urging people to prepare for that?

Richard Besser, the acting director of the CDC, isn't understating the risk. He says he is "very concerned", but expresses his concern with a soothing bedside manner. He doesn't have that rumpled, exhausted emergency-manager look that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's Harold Denton perfected in the 1979 Three Mile Island crisis. Denton left people feeling that the risk was serious and that they were in good hands. Besser says it is serious but leaves us feeling that he doesn't want us to worry much.

Still, I don't fault Besser for looking and sounding reassuring. Good crisis communication means saying alarming things in a calm tone, and he is doing exactly that.

The problem is that he isn't giving us anything to do except being hygienic. He keeps telling us, accurately, that the CDC is being aggressive in its response to the outbreak. But he is not asking the public to take further action. He needs to urge citizens, schools, hospitals and local governments to follow Leavitt's advice.

Instead, we have a surreal situation in which the federal government has released one-quarter of the Strategic National Stockpile of antiviral drugs, so there will be enough oseltamivir (Tamiflu) to deploy to millions of sick Americans. But it hasn't yet asked those Americans to stock up on tinned fruit and peanut butter.

We've been here before. In 2005, the pandemic influenza threat came from avian H5N1. The CDC and HHS were similarly convinced that the risk was serious, similarly committed to aggressive preparatory action ? that's why we have that Strategic National Stockpile ? and similarly disinclined to alarm the public. The feeling was that people had been alarmed enough by the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and that the government had exhausted its quota of scary utterances. There is much the same feeling today about the economic meltdown.

I was in the minority then, as I am now, urging officials to involve the public in pandemic-preparedness efforts. In early 2005 my recommendations fell largely on deaf ears.

Don't panic!

That summer, President George W. Bush read about the 1918 pandemic in John Barry's The Great Influenza. Then Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. The two together convinced the White House that raising concerns about worst-case scenarios was more appropriate than confident over-optimism. Soon the CDC and HHS were sounding the alarm about a possible pandemic. They aroused some concern, but no panic; they inspired some individual and community-preparedness efforts. And then attention shifted elsewhere, until now.

Why are officials so wary of describing the worst case vividly and urging people to prepare for that possibility? There are two reasons ? first, a fear of fear itself. Although crisis-management experts have known for decades that panic is rare (http://tinyurl.com/ogofyw), officials routinely expect the public to panic if told alarming things, and misdiagnose orderly efforts to prepare as panic.

This approach nearly always backfires. Officials terrified of creating panic make over-reassuring statements, suppress alarming information and belittle those who are frightened as 'irrational'. Frightened people are left alone with their fears, persuaded that their government has betrayed them. This increases public anxiety, which officials cannot channel into effective action because they have already delegitimized it. During the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreaks, for example, the Chinese government denied that Beijing was seeing SARS cases and SARS deaths. These false denials led to actual panic in Beijing.

Predicting deaths

To its credit, the CDC has not made over-reassuring statements, suppressed alarming information or belittled people's fears. For several days before the first US swine-flu death on 29 April, Besser predicted that there would be US deaths. That is excellent risk communication. He has not understated how bad things were or how bad things could get. His failure has been subtler than that: sending the message that the CDC will do whatever it takes to protect us, and that we need do little or nothing to protect ourselves. From the outset, CDC messaging has aimed to keep us calm.

The second reason for the wariness of officials is a fear of being seen to overreact. Critics are already accusing officials of over-warning the public. And if the virus recedes and a pandemic never materializes, these critics will consider themselves proved right ? as if the fact that your house didn't burn down this year proved the foolishness of last year's decision to buy insurance against fire. The only consolation I can offer officials is that many more people have lost their jobs for failing to take a disaster seriously than for being excessively alarmist about a possible disaster that never happened.

The risk-communication solution to this quandary is to issue warnings that are both scary and tentative. Public-health officials need to use the same sound bite to say, "This could get very bad, and it is time to prepare in case it does", and "This could fizzle out, and we'll probably feel a bit foolish if it does".

It might help if officials had a better understanding of the relationship between taking precautions and fear. Leaving aside the practical benefits, there are two psychological impacts worth describing.

First, consider the people officials are most worried about ? those who are excessively alarmed. Here is a secret of preparedness that is easy to forget: it is calming to prepare. Having things to do gives people a sense of control. It builds confidence, and it makes them more able to bear their fear.

Second, there are those who are not worried, or who have already 'switched off'. Each time officials repeat practical advice, more people take it. Some of them take it sceptically, but take it nonetheless. Whenever someone acts, the scepticism is reduced. So urging people to prepare can calm those whose concern is excessive and rouse those whose concern is insufficient. It also offers the practical benefits of putting key supplies to hand.

As Besser says, we are currently in a "pre-pandemic" phase. The World Health Organization raised the alert level up from phase 3 to 4 on 27 April; and ratcheted it up again to phase 5 on 29 April. Phase 6 is a full-blown pandemic.

In announcing phase 5, Margaret Chan, the WHO director-general, echoed the CDC advice. When asked what individuals could do to protect themselves and their families, she advised hygiene and social distancing; wash your hands, stay home when sick, less hugging in public. But the WHO's own guidance for phase 5 emphasizes that a pandemic is "imminent" and that the time to finalize preparations is short. That ought to mean more action than reducing hugging.

We may stay at phase 5 for weeks or months. Or we could progress to a full pandemic that is mild, not catastrophic, or the threat could recede. So the key issue is what to say to the public when a pandemic seems imminent, but no one knows how it will turn out.

Two years ago, my wife and colleague Jody Lanard and I tried to answer that question in an online article. To aid officials we delineated 25 specific messages (see 'Things to say when a pandemic seems imminent') and the risk-communication rationales behind them.

Fundamentally, officials need to ask themselves whether they see the public as potential victims to be protected and reassured, like young children, or as pandemic fighters ? grown-ups ? who can play an active part in the crisis that might be ahead. The difference in tone could save lives.

See also Essay, page 324, and for ongoing coverage of the H1N1 outbreak: http://www.nature.com/swineflu. A longer version of this article is available at http://tinyurl.com/prbwf2.

Discuss this topic on Nature Network: http://network.nature.com/groups/nat...um/topics/4662
    -
    <cite cite="http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v459/n7245/full/459322a.html">Pandemics: good hygiene is not enough : Article : Nature</cite>

Re: Nature. Pandemics: good hygiene is not enough

A single, children-minded, note.

How does people start to stockpile goods when a deep economic recession have put millions under the poorer level?

Unfortunately, for goods purchasing there is the need of a job, for a wage.

I am not sure if the people that will remain at the end of the line would be reassured by these commentaries.

Comment

Originally posted by ironorehopper View Post
      How does people start to stockpile goods when a deep economic recession have put millions under the poorer level?
      People were saying, "But I just can't afford to stock up" even when they did have jobs. I don't know how they do it now. Makes it even more imperative for those of us who can to have as much on hand as possible, because we may be sheltering family members who have nothing.

Comment

The U.S. government has recently spent trillions of dollars to stimulate the economy, some of which has been spent on controversial things like tattoo removal and studying the drinking behavior of Chinese prostitutes. Perhaps when the government gets through re-engineering the car industry, it might re-direct several billion to creating stockpiles of food and medicine for those who cannot prepare on their own. Just a thought, not a politically popular one unfortunately.
        Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

Ironeorehopper, you are right about many people not being able to afford this. It makes it more incumbent on the authorities to be honest with people early on, so people who are struggling financially could even gather one extra grocery item a week. I am totally broke at the moment, but I've at least bought the very cheap stuff that I need for ORT and some anti-pyretics. That gives me a chance of being able to stay away from others if I am infectious and of lasting a week if this situation goes badly wrong.

I think the authorities are reluctant to advise people to prepare, because they are fearful of the anger about how come the government gave all the public money to the bankers, but they haven't stock-piled food or considered having enough health care provision for the poor.

Ha Ha Dark Horse. Just saw your post. It seems we are both political dinosaurs.

Comment

I think there are many old threads on this site that address prepping on a budget.

Many items that are inexpensive can be purchased and if stored properly, will be good for a considerable length of time.
            "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
            "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by prepdeb View Post
              I think there are many old threads on this site that address prepping on a budget.
              You're right, of course, but for many people, having a budget would be a luxury. When you've lost your job, spent most of your savings trying to keep a roof over your kids' heads and food on the table, and the car has already been repossessed, you don't have a budget. You're trying to make every dollar go to six places.

Yes, many of these people should have listened up a long time ago and been better prepared, both financially and with stored food. But the bitter fact is that they aren't, and the rest of us will have to deal with it, because the government isn't going to. Or won't be able to, whichever it turns out to be. I'd rather buy extra and at least be able to take care of my extended family.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizw View Post
                I'd rather buy extra and at least be able to take care of my extended family.
                I agree Lizw and think many people have done that. I know that we have stored a lot of beans and rice in food storage buckets with oxygen absorbers. It may not be gourmet food, but it's nutritious and filling and was inexpensive.
                If things were to get really bad, I could leave care packages at the doors of neighbors. Beans, rice and bouillon (sp) would assure them something filling to eat.

We are fortunate to have close friends living right next door. They know that we've stored plenty of food. They have a generator that runs on natural gas, a pool and plenty of firewood so between the two households we've covered most things.

People just thinking about prepping who lack money might talk to a friend or relative who can afford to buy inexpensive suppiles. They could share the knowledge gained here of how to prepare and store supplies in exchange for some of the food. Sort of a team situation.

Just an idea.
                "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

People just thinking about prepping who lack money might talk to a friend or relative who can afford to buy inexpensive suppiles. They could share the knowledge gained here of how to prepare and store supplies in exchange for some of the food. Sort of a team situation.
                  That's basically what my family is doing. We've got people who are really skilled in some areas, and others that can contribute muscles and a willingness to work. But it isn't easy for some of them to buy extra food. So we'll combine everyone's strengths if we need to.
                  Last edited by Lizw; May 20, 2009, 07:49 PM. Reason: fix missing syntax

Comment

Originally posted by Lizw View Post
                    You're right, of course, but for many people, having a budget would be a luxury. When you've lost your job, spent most of your savings trying to keep a roof over your kids' heads and food on the table, and the car has already been repossessed, you don't have a budget. You're trying to make every dollar go to six places.

Yes, many of these people should have listened up a long time ago and been better prepared, both financially and with stored food. But the bitter fact is that they aren't, and the rest of us will have to deal with it, because the government isn't going to. Or won't be able to, whichever it turns out to be. I'd rather buy extra and at least be able to take care of my extended family.
                    My wife and I have a limited budget. We have taken the approach of "Bulk Buying" items that we & the kids normally consume. When we see an item on "Super Sale" that we normally eat a lot of - we buy tons of it - often a 1/2 year supply. We've been planning on the pandemic for years - and so far no food has spoiled. Many friends and family laugh at us - but in reality we are also doubling the results of our effort by actually decreasing our annual food budget. Because we practice rotation, always taking off the shelf that which has the earliest expiration date. It not only keeps us stocked up and prepared - it saves on the budget when looked at from a long term perspective. We started slowly - looking for "Sales Item" deals on our normal consumables. Over time we've built our stock up to the point that we ARE prepared not only for ourselves - but also for all those family and friends that have scoffed.

They say we are panicky - but we're actually at peace. And when/if short supply really hits - it won't be us frieking out. For us, being prepared is the calmest thing to do.

Comment

Good hygiene is, truly, not enough. It will take compassion to pull us all through into a future in need of healing.

If we turn our backs on those that are unable to provide for themselves and thier loved ones, regardless of thier worthiness, then our future will be full of bitterness, anger, and pain. In truth, what happens to the least of us will happen to all of us in the end. Dr. Chan was right. We are all in this together, and only together, can we meet the coming challenge and retain our humanity.

I am not situated to survive on my own indefinitely. After a few weeks, I will be in the same situation as those who have not prepared at all, for I believe the current situation threatens to level us all. I think we, the human family, were intended to be dependent upon each other. It's not a burden, nor a misfortune, nor a weakness to be in need of compassion and assistance. It is what binds us together, and makes us one family of man, one community of brothers, and one spirit of humankind.

Someday, perhaps in the near future we will be echoing Tennnyson...

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
                      One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                      Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                      To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I hope we measure up to our calling when we look back on this time...

Peace and Health - Snick

Comment

If things were to get really bad, I could leave care packages at the doors of neighbors. Beans, rice and bouillon (sp) would assure them something filling to eat.
                        I consider myself lucky to live in the mountains, in a rural area. We have lots of local farmers - I've even started the process of thinking of how to organize distribution co-ops in the event world trade grinds to a halt. I think many people are woefully uninformed as to how far our food has to travel before it reaches the grocery shelves (That also goes for basic items such as Toilet Paper, feminine products, toothpaste etc...). They say necessity is the mother of invention - and when the need arises people will find ways around feminine products, toiletries etc... but you can't make it without food.

Our area produces food - but food is NOT produced in cities + most people in cities have forgotten the basics about food raising/production. I think it is probably wisdom to note that there is Good & Evil in the world. The overcrowded big cities could suffer food shortages much more dire than rural areas. Food is a life or death item. Life or Death situations don't always bring out the best in people. I'll be giving out my "Care Packages" if/when the time comes - but I will be careful about publicizing it.

We live in a world where it is common to TAKE what you want/need. In America especially, we are somewhat of a spoiled generation. I believe that the violence / social unrest that will be a side effect of a severe pandemic is greatly underestimated. It is nice to think pleasantly of humanity. But in truth the history of humanity is filled with negative examples of human behavior. I think that when we start to see stories of bad behavior when people rush stores and empty shelves that the seriousness & scope of what might be coming will finally sink in. The consequences of a severe pandemic will be much greater than hygiene issues, or even food issues.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
                          I'll be giving out my "Care Packages" if/when the time comes - but I will be careful about publicizing it.
                          I think that's good advice Mountains Voice. We live in a city and I would not want to let people know that we have stored food, other than our old friends who live next door.
                          It would be much better to let everyone think we are in the same situation they are and just cautiously leave gifts at their doors.

We do have fruit trees, nut trees and a small garden in our yard but nothing that could feed the neighborhood. The squirrels get most of the harvest anyway.

Comment

We do have fruit trees, nut trees and a small garden in our yard but nothing that could feed the neighborhood. The squirrels get most of the harvest anyway.
                            Be thankful it's just squirrels!

A hungry herd of deer, or one marauding bear can do an amazing amount of damage to a garden in a single night. A few years back I woke up, walked out on my deck and heard a snort. 20 feet away, sitting on his bottom in the middle of what USED TO BE my corn patch was a big fat black bear. Just calmly finishing up his snack.

Comment

The Mountains Voice - I'll try to show a little more appreciation for our squirrels and rabbits after hearing that. At least they are only a threat to the harvest.
                              Sounds like gardening is a high risk hobby in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X