Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP discusses Ebola 10-14-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP discusses Ebola 10-14-14

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN LINKED ANYWHERE ON THE SITE BUT THIS IS A LINK TO A C-SPAN AIRING 3 DAYS AGO featuring Micheal Osterholm of CIDRAP discussing Ebola at John Hopkins in Maryland. Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), U.M.

He hits all the nails on the head of what has been wrong about the ?never can happen? propaganda we have been hearing from officials and why it is dangerous talk.

This runs 22 minutes, is very professional, credible, informative and very honest in all terms of what is known and unknown about Ebola. One interesting thing is that the last known genetic sequencing that was done was on a sample way back in May of this year.

Also the mention of some preliminary results of a recent ongoing Canadian Ebola primate study being done using a recent strain of Ebola. The study is process but he announces some concerning statements about it at the symposium.

Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP discusses Ebola 10-14-14 AT John Hopkins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkMKUa0sxBQ

Thank You FluTrackers and all that have contributed on a regular basis.

Thank You Sharon. I am so glad you have stuck this out and are here today during this very chaotic time.

Re: Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP discusses Ebola 10-14-14

I think his comments are in generable quite credible especially about hubris, but with far too many platitudes for me.

BUT his statement about not having any disclosures is absurd:

CIDRAP has a leading underwriter 3M, which is a primary, if not the primary, manufacturer for many types of PPE, especially respirators.

Moreover, his faith in a vaccine solution in any reasonable timescale is not aligned with reality (eg, 12 months for an already developed product):

Comment

Re: Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP discusses Ebola 10-14-14

Originally posted by Graupel View Post
      I think his comments are in generable quite credible especially about hubris, but with far too many platitudes for me.

BUT his statement about not having any disclosures is absurd:

CIDRAP has a leading underwriter 3M, which is a primary, if not the primary, manufacturer for many types of PPE, especially respirators.

Moreover, his faith in a vaccine solution in any reasonable timescale is not aligned with reality (eg, 12 months for an already developed product):

http://www.wtec.org/vaccmfg/workshop...gs/04-Chao.pdf
      Thanks Graupel. Listed on the CIDRAP site as underwriters are:

Bentson Foundation,

3M,

United Health,

GILEAD.

In addition, I believe CIDRAP is housed by the University of Minnesota so this qualifies the university as an "underwriter". CIDRAP also has the phrase "unrestricted financial support" at the top of the underwriters list. Financial support usually comes with some sort of expectations, access, and/or control. "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

No one should wait for an ebola vaccine. It is YEARS away for 99.9% of the world's population.

Comment

Working...
      X