Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profile of the Alere i Influenza A & B assay: a pioneering molecular point-of-care test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile of the Alere i Influenza A & B assay: a pioneering molecular point-of-care test

Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2018 Apr 24:1-7. doi: 10.1080/14737159.2018.1466703. [Epub ahead of print]
    Profile of the Alere i Influenza A & B assay: a pioneering molecular point-of-care test.

Wang H1,2, Deng J1, Tang YW2,3.
    Author information

Abstract

The Alere i Influenza A & B assay incorporates the Nicking Enzyme Amplification Reaction technique on the Alere i instrument to detect and differentiate influenza virus (Flu) A and B nucleic acids in specific specimens. Areas covered: The Alere i Influenza A & B assay was cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration for use with nasal swabs (NS) and nasopharyngeal swabs, either directly or in viral transport medium. Notably, direct use on NS was the first ever CLIA-waived nucleic acid-based test. Previously published evaluations have reported sensitivities and specificities of 55.2-100% and 62.5-100% for Flu A and 45.2-100% and 53.6-100% for Flu B, respectively. Expert commentary: The Alere i Influenza A & B assay provides a rapid and simple platform for detection and differentiation of Flu A and B. Efforts are expected to further improve sensitivity and user-friendliness for effective and widespread use in the true point-of-care setting.

KEYWORDS:

Influenza viruses A and B; isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology; nasal swabs; nasopharyngeal swabs; nicking enzyme amplification reaction; rapid molecular diagnosis

PMID: 29688086 DOI: 10.1080/14737159.2018.1466703

Working...
X