Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contribution of a rapid influenza diagnostic test to manage hospitalized patients with suspected influenza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contribution of a rapid influenza diagnostic test to manage hospitalized patients with suspected influenza

Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016 Nov 27. pii: S0732-8893(16)30398-4. doi: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2016.11.015. [Epub ahead of print]
    Contribution of a rapid influenza diagnostic test to manage hospitalized patients with suspected influenza.

Busson L1, Mahadeb B2, De Foor M2, Vandenberg O3, Hallin M4.
    Author information

Abstract

AIM:

To evaluate the performances of the Alere i influenza A&B test and to appraise its contribution to patient management.
    METHODS:

In total, 267 samples were tested. Influenza A and B PCR was performed as the reference. For each positive result, the supervising physician was contacted to collect data regarding patient management.
    FINDINGS:

The overall sensitivity and specificity of the Alere i were 91.4% and 97.6% for influenza A and 54.5% and 98.8% for influenza B, respectively. More specifically, when used in the emergency room (ER), the test helped avoid 10.7% of hospitalizations, 46.4% of antibiotic prescriptions and 42.9% of additional investigations for positive patients. The test was also helpful in instituting the prescription of oseltamivir and patient isolation.
    CONCLUSION:

Alere i influenza A&B is a rapid, sensitive and specific diagnostic test for influenza A. Sensitivity for influenza B was poor. Its usefulness was more important when patients were still in the ER.
    Copyright ? 2016. Published by Elsevier Inc.

KEYWORDS:

Alere i; Clinical contribution; Diagnosis; Influenza; Sofia

PMID: 27939284 DOI: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2016.11.015
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Working...
X