Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiviral Res . Development of cycling probe based real-time PCR methodology for influenza A viruses possessing the PA/I38T amino acid substitution associated with reduced baloxavir susceptibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiviral Res . Development of cycling probe based real-time PCR methodology for influenza A viruses possessing the PA/I38T amino acid substitution associated with reduced baloxavir susceptibility

Antiviral Res

. 2021 Feb 9;105036.
    doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2021.105036. Online ahead of print.
    Development of cycling probe based real-time PCR methodology for influenza A viruses possessing the PA/I38T amino acid substitution associated with reduced baloxavir susceptibility

Hidekazu Osada 1 , Irina Chon 2 , Wint Wint Phyu 2 , Keita Wagatsuma 2 , Nobuo Nagata 3 , Takashi Kawashima 4 , Isamu Sato 5 , Tadashi Saito 6 , Naoki Kodo 7 , Hironori Masaki 8 , Norichika Asoh 9 , Yoshiko Tuchihashi 9 , Yutaka Shirahige 10 , Yasuhiko Ono 11 , Yasushi Shimada 12 , Hirotsune Hamabata 13 , Kousuke Saito 2 , Reiko Saito 14

Affiliations

Abstract

Baloxavir marboxil has been used for influenza treatment since March 2018 in Japan. After baloxavir treatment, the most frequently detected substitution is Ile38Thr in polymerase acidic protein (PA/I38T), and this substitution reduces baloxavir susceptibility in influenza A viruses. To rapidly investigate the frequency of PA/I38T in influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and A(H3N2) viruses in clinical samples, we established a rapid real-time system to detect single nucleotide polymorphisms in PA, using cycling probe real-time PCR. We designed two sets of probes that were labeled with either 6-carboxyfluorescein (FAM) or 6-carboxy-X-rhodamine (ROX) to identify PA/I38 (wild type strain) or PA/I38T, respectively. The established cycling probe real-time PCR system showed a dynamic linear range of 101 to 106 copies with high sensitivity in plasmid DNA controls. This real-time PCR system discriminated between PA/I38T and wild type viruses well. During the 2018/19 season, 377 influenza A-positive clinical samples were collected in Japan before antiviral treatment. Using our cycling probe real-time PCR system, we detected no (0/129, 0.0%) influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses with PA/I38T substitutions and four A(H3N2) (4/229, 1.7%) with PA/I38T substitution prior to treatment. In addition, we found PA/I38T variant in siblings who did not received baloxavir treatment during an infection caused by A(H3N2) that afflicted the entire family. Although human-to-human transmission of PA/I38T variant may have occurred in a closed environment, the prevalence of this variant in influenza A viruses was still limited. Our cycling probe-PCR system is thus useful for antiviral surveillance of influenza A viruses possessing PA/I38T.

Keywords: PA/I38T substitution; antiviral susceptibility; baloxavir marboxil; cycling probe real-time PCR; influenza virus.

Working...
X