Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact on antiviral resistance of E119V, I222L and R292K substitutions in influenza A viruses bearing a group 2 neuraminidase (N2, N3, N6, N7 and N9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact on antiviral resistance of E119V, I222L and R292K substitutions in influenza A viruses bearing a group 2 neuraminidase (N2, N3, N6, N7 and N9)

J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016 Jul 17. pii: dkw275. [Epub ahead of print]
    Impact on antiviral resistance of E119V, I222L and R292K substitutions in influenza A viruses bearing a group 2 neuraminidase (N2, N3, N6, N7 and N9).

Gaymard A1, Charles-Dufant A2, Sabatier M2, Cortay JC2, Frobert E1, Picard C2, Casalegno JS1, Rosa-Calatrava M2, Ferraris O2, Valette M1, Ottmann M2, Lina B1, Escuret V3.
    Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

While subtype-specific substitutions linked to neuraminidase (NA) inhibitor resistance are well described in human N1 and N2 influenza NAs, little is known about other NA subtypes. The aim of this study was to determine whether the R292K and E119V ? I222L substitutions could be associated with oseltamivir resistance in all group 2 NAs and had an impact on virus fitness.
    METHODS:

Reassortant viruses with WT NA or variant N2, N3, N6, N7 or N9 NAs, bearing R292K or E119V ? I222L substitutions, were produced by reverse genetics. The antiviral susceptibility, activity, Km of the NA, mutation stability and in vitro virus fitness in MDCK cells were determined.
    RESULTS:

NA activities could be ranked as follows regardless of the substitution: N3 ≥ N6 > N2 ≥ N9 > N7. Using NA inhibitor resistance interpretation criteria used for human N1 or N2, the NA-R292K substitution conferred highly reduced inhibition by oseltamivir and the N6- or N9-R292K substitution conferred reduced inhibition by zanamivir and laninamivir. Viruses with the N3- or N6-E119V substitution showed normal inhibition by oseltamivir, while those with the N2-, N7- or N9-E119V substitution showed reduced inhibition by oseltamivir. Viruses with NA-E119V + I222L substitutions showed reduced inhibition (N3 and N6) or highly reduced inhibition (N2, N7 and N9) by oseltamivir. Viruses bearing the NA-R292K substitution had lower affinity and viruses bearing the NA-E119V substitution had higher affinity for the MUNANA substrate than viruses with corresponding WT NA.
    CONCLUSIONS:

NA-R292K and E119V + I222L substitutions conferred reduced inhibition by oseltamivir for all group 2 NAs. Surveillance of NA inhibitor resistance for zoonotic and human influenza viruses and the development of novel antiviral agents with different targets should be continued.
    ? The Author 2016. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: journals.permissions@oup.com.

PMID: 27432605 DOI: 10.1093/jac/dkw275
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Working...
X