Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSM Popul Health . Social distancing and influenza mortality in 1918 did not increase suicide rates in the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSM Popul Health . Social distancing and influenza mortality in 1918 did not increase suicide rates in the United States

SSM Popul Health

. 2021 Oct 14;16:100944.
    doi: 10.1016/j.ssmph.2021.100944. eCollection 2021 Dec.
    Social distancing and influenza mortality in 1918 did not increase suicide rates in the United States

Hampton Gray Gaddy 1

Affiliations

Abstract

Recent research has suggested that the social distancing mandates introduced in the United States during the main waves of the 1918-20 influenza pandemic caused an increase in suicide rates. However, that finding relies on poor-quality, temporally mismatched data and has signs of omitted variable bias. Similarly, a long-standing finding that American suicide rates in 1918-20 were also boosted by the influenza mortality of the time has gone unquestioned in the literature, despite the original research admitting its risk of ecological fallacy. Using higher-powered mortality data, I cast doubt on both findings by analyzing the experiences of the pandemic in 43 of the largest American cities of the time. In line with some populations' experiences of COVID-19, I report tentative evidence that social distancing mandates during the 1918-20 pandemic may have been associated with decreased suicide rates. Larger, cross-national investigations of the effects of historical pandemics and social distancing mandates on mental health and suicide are needed.

Keywords: 1918 influenza pandemic; Mental health; Social distancing; Social epidemiology; Suicide; United States.

whenever you consider US-mortality in 1919ff, keep in mind the 1919-alcohole-prohibition
    which had a big impact on mortality
    from many causes , especially in males. I'm not sure about suicides, but can well imagine an impact.
    This lasted to at least until about 1922 when they started drinking again (depending on State-policy) ...
    I didn't know this during all the flutrackers discussin - until 2019 thanks to the

I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Working...
    X