This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name of this Flu - FluTrackers Policy

As we can see from the latest comments from the Health Minister of Indonesia suggesting that this new strain of A/H1N1 is possibly man made and by the suggestion from the OIE that this strain be called the "North American" strain, there is a need to set the policy here at FT for our reference to this flu.

We will be calling this A/H1N1 swine flu - Swine Flu.

This is genetically correct. It is 2 parts Swine. 1 part human. 1 part avian.

Any reference to Mexican or North American will not be acceptable on this site.

Thank you.
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    And the pure light within you
    Guide your way on."

"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, lies your calling."
    Aristotle

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
    Mohandas Gandhi

Be the light that is within.

Re: Name of this Flu - FluTrackers Policy

We are of all peoples and cultures on this site.

We reflect the diversity of the world's population.

We reject the idea that any illness can be named after any peoples.

It is the height of hate and ignorance.

It is eugenistic.

It promotes the degradation of the spirit.

This challenge will be met with the strength of the human spirit as one people.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kg2K8dKYyA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object><object height="344" width="425">

</object>
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

I agree.

But to be even more geneticaly correct:
      "2 parts Swine. 1 part human. 1 part avian."

and to vindicated the other world live species, we can rename it more diferently.
      Additionaly, to be more democratic, I shall insert 2 name options:

Gorgone flu virus

or (for easy typing)

SHA flu virus

More nicknames aspected, until we are alive we must placed it jokeful.

But, the above name suggestions remains active.

Comment

Humour, yes... the best medicine.

People need to get a 'grip", not a "grippe"

Comment

Tropical - SHA Na Na virus?

Many might not be old enough to relate.
          "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
          "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by prepdeb View Post
            Tropical - SHA Na Na virus?

Many might not be old enough to relate.
            Well, it could be

SHAFT
            SHA Flu Trouble virus ...

or as joked in one post:

pigy-chick-homo virus alias PCHV

____

(Florida would crucif. me)
            I'm diverted an serious name source item in an simil-joke - no hard feelings, its the begining of the pandemic hysteria reveal itself.

Only an abruptly slow down of Mex. severity, and vanishing of the worldwide strain could stabilize us.

Maybe I wrote better when I'm in a "grumpy mode" without jokes, as in the Beach posts the past days ...

Comment

I don't know Sharon. I actually agree with the OIE, in that I think that swine flu is a bad name for it. It confuses people.

Until today, many news sites had pictures of hogs next to headlines about the flu outbreak. As the outbreak progresses people may avoid pork products and some may try to remove swine and swine facilities from their communities in fear.

Even the UN, WHO and US administration makes a point in each flu announcement of saying pork is safe.

I also agree with you that no one country should be singled out.

What is your objection to the "North American flu"? North America does cover a wide spectrum and diversity of peoples.
              Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

#7: ...

Farmer seems right to display the media swine picturing, but something about is on fire because many countries stop imports - is that an business move, or it is because of now pigs also harboring this chimera flu ...

I have an reserve option name to resolve the tricky word (american).

Once, the continents joins together, first unite, than apart.
                I'm not sure which was the right name of the Americas lend mass, but we can name it based on this.

Gondvana

or Pangea

(I don't remember the right one)

Comment

Originally posted by Florida1 View Post
                  We are of all peoples and cultures on this site.
                  We reflect the diversity of the world's population.
                  We reject the idea that any illness can be named after any peoples.
                  It is the height of hate and ignorance.
                  It is eugenistic.
                  It promotes the degradation of the spirit.
                  This challenge will be met with the strength of the human spirit as one people.
                  Sharon,
                  I understand your concern but pandemics have been named for years upon their supposed geographic origin and there is noting eugenistic in that.

Spanish Flu, Asian Flu, Hong Kong Flu, all of them are geographically named. That's history and never anyone blamed the Spanish people for that one.

Bird Flu for H5N1 is a good name because the main source of infection IS bird.

Swine Flu in this case is misleading because you won't get that flu from a pig, it is already humanised and it is spreading from it's geographical epicenter wich is Mexico.

I personnaly lab-tested real swine flu from swine for years and none of them never spark a human cluster like that.

I understood your concern and the need to normalise a standard name format but Swine Flu is simply false, misleading, and cause prejudice to the farmer and the agriculture of the world.

With respect for your titanesque work with this site.

Fran&#231;ois

Comment

I know my decision is a bit unusual and goes against the wind but we have never been traditionalists here.

I do not think this is the pandemic strain. It might be a genetic part of the strain that eventually becomes the pandemic strain. So we call it North American flu. It comes and then it goes.

In the future an influenza strain emerges. But this time the case fatality rate is 30&#37; or more. Possibly it emerges from an area where H5N1 is endemic and has a history of human cases.

Egypt, Indonesia, China, Vietnam.............

What country wants this high case fatality rate flu named after it?

I am fine with naming flu for the year that it emerges instead of an animal name or geographical name.

We should change the racist and cultural leanings of our past.

I appreciate all of the comments!

"May the long time sun
                    Shine upon you,
                    All love surround you,
                    Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Do I understand that you have a different opinion than Dr. Niman?

I do not think this is the pandemic strain. It might be a genetic part of the strain that eventually becomes the pandemic strain. So we call it North American flu. It comes and then it goes.
                      and

The 2009 swine H1N1 is a 1918 re-run (no avian requird).

Comment

There seems to be confusion on what to name this flu.

I was listening to the national French radio an hour ago and it said WHO wanted to name it the Mexican flu. Back home, I checked and found this article which says WHO names it swine flu, but Thailand doesn't. Others object to swine flu, eg. Israel and Muslim countries, article here.

I would not want to get embroiled in religious references, but on the public health ground, there may be some who will ostracize sick people because catching swine flu will be considered unclean in their beliefs. Some people infected with swine flu may well be denied the care they need on this ground. [edited to add: physical AND spiritual care that is]

Comment

Welcome gjs47!

In 1918 there were 3 waves.

If this is a "redux" then this is wave # 1.

A milder wave.

In 1918 the 2nd wave was brutal.

When this swine, or 2009, flu meets H5N1 in places where H5N1 is endemic and has a history of human cases, the result could be devastating.

A marriage of a highly transmissible and sustainable flu with a flu that has a very high case fatality rate might result.

No one knows what will happen but in nature anything is possible.
                          "May the long time sun
                          Shine upon you,
                          All love surround you,
                          Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchieGirl View Post
                            There seems to be confusion on what to name this flu.

I was listening to the national French radio an hour ago and it said WHO wanted to name it the Mexican flu. Back home, I checked and found this article which says WHO names it swine flu, but Thailand doesn't. Others object to swine flu, eg. Israel and Muslim countries, article here.

I would not want to get embroiled in religious references, but on the public health ground, there may be some who will ostracize sick people because catching swine flu will be considered unclean in their beliefs. Some people infected with swine flu may well be denied the care they need on this ground. [edited to add: physical AND spiritual care that is]
                            This demonstrates the need for a new naming protocol.

I am fine with "2009 Flu".
                            "May the long time sun
                            Shine upon you,
                            All love surround you,
                            Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Regarding names...

The scientists must stick with their established protocol, but the general public could call it ... "globalization09 flu" to reflect the results of our interdependent world and its consequences.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Working...
                              X