X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Continuing Attempts to Thwart FluTrackers

#52:
    "...
    Feb 11 02:24:28 server sshd: refused connect from ::ffff:58.61.149.213 (::ffff:58.61.149.213)
    ..."

maybe to simple ignore them at all ...
    because it will not stop

the progs will contain them enaugh
    hopefully

or forbidden its enter

Comment

We are very proactive on this issue. To AD - I have no idea how many are from Korea. I think it is rare, however.

Even if someone manages to take the server out, we are not defeated.

Because we are not trying to make any money here. We have no payroll. No commercial motive.

We are a collective effort from around the world to help others.

No one can take that from us. Even if we lose all the information that we have stored.

We will re-build using back-up discs on a different server.

We are an intangible. We are an essence. A hope. A spirit.

Nothing, and no one, can "hack" this.

Comment

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that talks have resumed after a pause for the Chinese New Year. It's been about six weeks since Google forced a showdown with the government by declaring its intention to shut down its Chinese search engine unless it is allowed to offer an uncensored version, and it doesn't seem that the two parties have gotten any closer to making a decision.

A Google representative declined to comment on the nature of the talks, saying "we are not going to engage in a running commentary about discussions we may or may not be having with the Chinese government."

more.....

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

This morning starting at 7:30 EST there were over 500 failed attempts to log into the FluTrackers server.

For the last several weeks we have sustained many attacks, both the server and FT as a discussion forum. More than one person has tried to join FT with more than 1 moniker. There has been vicious bashing of me personally and the site as a whole. We have been accused of not having PhDs or MDs - and therefore, our findings and opinions do not count.

I am tired of this. Are we less because most of us do not have any initials after our names? I think we all are PhDs of life. Most of us are middle aged on this site. This life learning is worth something.

So because we are "regular" people, we deserve this internet abuse? Or is it because we do not charge for our information? Or maybe because we do not solicit advertising or other money making schemes? Or because we look at both sides of the issues?

Is it because we have no horse in the influenza race? We are not trying to invent anything, sell anything, or push any agenda except public health.

When are you internet terro rists going to learn? We are not going to quit.

We are going to publish. We are helping people. We are going to continue.

Again, thank you to all the humanitarians who disseminate information each day, without expectations, of the heart, for strangers you will never meet.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Einstein

Comment

It's a never-changing fact of life that the crooks and bullies will always be very very frightened of people who are honest and who speak up. Stay strong !

Comment

It is a very disappointing development, this flood of attacks to FluTrackers.com community forum.

When media and internet content providers multinational corporations start to behave as ''States'', I think this is a bad sign.

Informations should circulated freely, without borders or limitations due bilateral agreement between corporations and countries' authorities.

We have experienced in the past the effect of bad influence of certain extremely powerful multinational corporations, pretending ownership on human, animal or microorganism genomes, with the result of a severe strain in international relations and reciprocal allegations of bio piracy, impairing well rodated samples' sharing system, slowing the scientific progress and the tracking for bacterial or viral evolution. My opinion is a bit ''extremist'', I know well, but it is only mine.

Now, when a community of people, unrelated, living in several countries, without grants, refunding or other money involvement - as is FluTrackers.com community forum - when this entity starts to make a striking difference in sharing information about incidents of public concerns, it seems obvious to have some kind of disturbance, envy if you want.

But a continue attempt to shut down a voice I think should be named as is: a bad behaviour, cowardly perpetrated against people not in a ''defense'' attitude.

Long life to FluTrackers.com

Giuseppe Michieli (Ironorehopper)

Comment

These continued attacks on this site are growing old. We will not be deterred.

The time that Sharon spends on these attacks takes away time she could be tracking. She is on board with the rest of us, and tracks right along side us. She has been watching China. It now falls to the wayside...

If anyone (other than those of us who are already busy, busy, tracking) would like to track China, I am going to deposit some links I have found, for the 3 Provinces that border Vietnam. I will put them in the Disease Tracking Tools thread, which can be found here:

I want to thank all of you for working so selflessly on this effort. I am proud to be part of the FluTrackers family.

Comment

Thank you Giuseppe and Commonground.

We are committed. We incur extra server processing costs so that the world's search engines can crawl the site and upload the information posted here.

We hope to help many.
                  Last edited by sharon sanders; March 13, 2010, 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

#60: "The time that Sharon spends on these attacks takes away time she could be tracking."

There isn't a perfect shield,
                    so it is better to ignore, forget, and leave them to the machinery defences mainly.

The PhD question is irrelevant when the main problems are unwillingness to invest more money, to instaurate a better health system logistic, or early decisions of barriering and quarantining which are connected to more economy than health reasons.

The fact is that reading the truth is always painfull for many, and continuous attempts to insert fresh information waters in the systems, sometimes produces dangerous waves...

switching off the fresh flux of real time informations, represents a deminished disturbance to the systems ...

Comment

By some INCREDIBLE coincidence starting at 2:50pm EDT today there were 365 FAILED attempts to, again, crack the password to our server.

These were automated attempts, in batches, every 4 minutes until our server company took action.
                      Last edited by sharon sanders; March 26, 2010, 04:42 PM. Reason: added "in batches"

Comment

tell them how long and how random your password is, so they can give up.
                        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                          tell them how long and how random your password is, so they can give up.
                          In this case rationality will not work. This is a pattern. It runs deep and is part of a multifaceted attack.

Many tactics are employed: sock pup pets, simultaneous ips, multiple browsers, external attacks on the server designed to overload the processors, hijacking of email accounts, and many attempts to obtain the password to the server.

Out of the shadows is the light.

Comment

Here I have returned after nearly 4 months since my computer was hack-attacked and my hard drive was wiped clean on Dec. 8, 2009, so I want to try to resume some of my previous duties, but this time I'll have to use google translator and avoid going into *.cn sites for info. Thanks to Sharon and all you other DETERMINED newshounds for NOT GIVING IN to harassment.

Comment

Meanwhile, there are ongoing "coordinated" continuing attempts to "assault" leading "activists, academics and journalists" so some 'recent' attempts to harm FluTrackers is likely to be for the same reason, the silencing and harassment of those who are informed and active by those wishing to reduce our freedoms of speech and inquiry and association.

I found this at the NY Times website earlier, and it says there are also botnets being planted in Vietnamese-language software users' computers. It's not just time-wasting, malicious and abusive......it's criminal and ought to be a reason the Free World raises our collective communications security and go after the perpatrators IMHO.

BEIJING ? In what appears to be a coordinated assault, the e-mail accounts of at least a dozen rights activists, academics and journalists who cover China have been compromised by unknown intruders. A Chinese human rights organization also said that hackers disabled its Web site for a fifth straight day.

The infiltrations, which involved Yahoo e-mail accounts, appeared to be aimed at people who write about China and Taiwan, rendering their accounts inaccessible, according to those who were affected. In the case of this reporter, hackers altered e-mail settings so that all correspondence was surreptitiously forwarded to another e-mail address.

The attacks, most of which began last Thursday, occurred the same week that Google angered the Chinese government by routing Internet search engine requests out of the mainland to a site in Hong Kong. Google said the move was prompted by its objections to censorship rules and by a spate of attacks on Google e-mail users that the company suggested had originated in China.

Those cyberattacks, which began as early as last April, affected dozens of American corporations, law firms and individuals, many of them rights advocates critical of China?s authoritarian government.

The victims of the most recent intrusions included a law professor in the United States, an analyst who writes about China?s security apparatus and several print journalists based in Beijing and Taipei, the capital of Taiwan.

?It?s very unsettling,? said Clifford Coonan, the China correspondent for Variety magazine, whose e-mail account was rendered inaccessible last week after Yahoo detected that someone had gained access to it remotely. ?You can?t help but wonder why you?ve been targeted.?

In an e-mail exchange, Dana Lengkeek, a Yahoo spokeswoman, declined to discuss the incidents, citing company policy. ?We are committed to protecting user security and privacy and we take appropriate action in the event of any kind of breach,? Ms. Lengkeek said.

Kathleen McLaughlin, an American freelance journalist in Beijing, said she had been locked out of her Yahoo account since Thursday night. Like the others who were affected, Ms. McLaughlin said she received a message from Yahoo indicating that her account had been disabled because, according to an automated message, ?we have detected an issue with your account.?

She said she contacted Yahoo but has yet to receive an explanation of what happened. ?Someone is clearly targeting journalists,? she said. ?It makes me feel very uncomfortable.?

Yahoo, which merged its China operations with the Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba, has faced criticism for cooperating with government security officials in the past. In 2006, Yahoo turned over data that officials used to help prosecute several dissidents. One, a journalist named Shi Tao, was later given a 10-year sentence for leaking a secret propaganda directive.

Unlike Google and Microsoft, Yahoo maintains servers in China, a factor that has driven many privacy-conscious Chinese away from the company?s e-mail services.

Computer security experts say infiltration of Yahoo?s e-mail service once again highlights the challenges that Internet companies face in protecting their customers from hackers.

Paul Wood, a senior analyst at the Symantec Corporation, said a growing number of malignant viruses were tailored to specific recipients, with the goal of tricking them into opening attachments that would insert malware onto their computers. Mr. Wood said his company, which designs anti-virus software, now blocks about 60 such attacks each day, up from 1 or 2 a week in 2005. ?They?re very well crafted and extremely damaging,? he said.

A report issued by Symantec on Monday found that nearly 30 percent of attacks originated from computers in China; about 20 percent of those came from Shaoxing, a relatively obscure city in Zhejiang Province previously known for winemaking.

Mr. Wood and other experts point out that attacks appearing to come from a certain location can just as easily be emanating from computers infected with botnets, a virus that allows them be controlled remotely by other computing systems.

It is this kind of rogue software that is probably responsible for crippling the Web site of Chinese Human Rights Defenders, a group that has been an assertive critic of China?s human rights violations. Since last Thursday, the group?s Chinese-language site has been overwhelmed by hackers flooding it with junk requests, a tactic known as denial of service. Although the site has been attacked before, the attacks did not last more than a few hours.

Renee Xia, the international director for the human rights group, said the assault began the same day the American company that is host to its site, Go Daddy, announced that it would stop registering domain names in China. ?Maybe it?s a coincidence, but we don?t think so,? Ms. Xia said.

Google Finds New Cyberattack

SAN FRANCISCO ? Google said Tuesday that it had discovered a cyberattack aimed at Vietnamese Internet users around the world. The attack was less sophisticated than those that originated in China and appeared to be aimed at Chinese human rights activists.

Google said the attack may have infected the computers of tens of thousands of people who downloaded Vietnamese keyboard language software.

Comment

Welcome Back!

Comment

Working...
                                X