Laura Montgomery, Advisor and Administrator at FluTrackers.com, Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laura Montgomery, Advisor and Administrator at FluTrackers.com, Died

I also am very sad that "lmonte" -- Laura -- has died. She was one remarkable person! Hard to believe she's gone. Wonderful she lives on here and in our hearts!

I will always remember Laura's humor and LIGHTness, her willingness both to initiate and to help with threads and projects of others. She was thoughtful and made clear what she contributed that was science based from her nursing and research background, what she thought would or wouldn't work from her experiential background in nursing and in life, and what was her opinion. She was a scientist, a public servant and a remarkable human being with insight into how humans worked.

Laura was always upbeat, matter-of-fact in the face of others' occasional fear and negativity, optimistic, professional with incredible knowledge-skills-and-abilities, inclusive and creative. Her contributions to flutrackers and the developing internet are legion.

2006 is not all that long ago in years, but it's light years from where we are today in web development and use. In 2006 there was no Facebook or Twitter. No Wikipedia or Blogs. Flutrackers was utterly unique and necessary as a way for professionals to communicate around the world about changes in genomes, surface topography of viruses and immune cells, antivirals, vaccines, historic pandemics, current outbreaks around the world and the possibility of catastrophic, high-mortality or lower-mortality pandemic flu.

Flutrackers was also a website where we could come together wherever in the world we were and educate each other about best practices for staying well, for protecting our families, co-workers, and friends, for educating within our own communities, agencies, organizations, nations and beyond. "Prepare for the worst and expect the best."

We were among the first to use the internet's capabilities as a discussion and self-help forum, a wiki for tracking outbreaks, a classroom to teach and learn immunology, epidemiology, virology -- and for some, how and what to prepare. Oh, I forgot we learned a lot of geography too and sociology and about cultures other than our own and about when to get out of the stock market! The knowledge that was shared here helped stimulate federal and state interagency agreements and federal flu internet websites here in the USA. We are much better prepared for emergencies than in the past.

Laura was part of all of that sharing along with Anne and Sharon and others starting in 2006. I am glad to have known and worked with her. My life was and is enriched by her. Here's to ya, Laura!

Mellie, stress psychologist for wildland firefighters and lmonte's friend and colleague on flutrackers.

Comment

I had many whispered conversations with Laura which inevitably put a smile on my face. She could find humor in so many situations. I want to extend my condolances to her husband, family and friends both immediate as well as those here at FT. We lost a dear woman who cannot be replaced. A hard working, caring and passionate pioneer of the use of the internet as a means to help both the United States and the world. We were indeed blessed to have her in our lives. We will miss her.
      Shannon
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

What to add? The comments above make it clear what a kind and stabilising presence she was. For me personally it is our attempts in the early days of the site to get to grips with the science which I most remember. So much good sound logic and deductive reasoning. My best wishes to all her family and friends and my own tribute will be to go off now and spend a couple of hours rereading some of her old post and remember my friend.
        Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JJackson View Post
          What to add? The comments above make it clear what a kind and stabilising presence she was. For me personally it is our attempts in the early days of the site to get to grips with the science which I most remember. So much good sound logic and deductive reasoning. My best wishes to all her family and friends and my own tribute will to go off now and spend a couple of hours rereading some of her old post and remember my friend.
          Jonathan
          I have started to compile a thread with copies of some of her posts "A Collection of Laura Montgomery's Posts" here. Any moderator can add to this thread. Please be sure you copy and not move the post so that the original thread that contains her post stays intact (I have to watch myself! lol).

"For all of the challenges mankind has faced, a functioning community responding to a changing enviornment has been the answer."

Comment

Laura Ann Montgomery, age 57, of Everton, Arkansas passed away at her home on Saturday, August 18, 2012.

Laura was born in New York City, New York on March 26, 1955 to Joseph Thomas and Violet Dorothy (Phillips) Donlon. She was a Registered Nurse and worked for Hospice of the Hills in Harrison, Arkansas. Mrs. Montgomery enjoyed gardening, fishing, farming, and raising goats. She had been a resident of Marion County for the past 6 years.

Mrs. Montgomery is survived by her husband, David Montgomery of Everton, Arkansas;

two sons: Kevin Archbald, of Meinheim, Germany; and Shawn Archbald of Yardley, Pennsylvania;

two brothers: Joseph Donlon of Brooklyn, New York; and Thomas Donlon of Smithtown, New York;

one sister, Elizabeth Seitz, of Yardley, Pennsylvania;

and two grandchildren.

Graveside service will be held 11:00 am, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at Anderson Flat Cemetery with Chaplain Marge Doyle and Rev. Seamus Doyle officiating.

No visitation will be held.

Memorials can be made to: Hospice of the Hills, P.O. Box 1927, Harrison, AR 72602

Comment

Toutes mes sympathies ? sa famille, ses amis et ? la communaut? de FluTrackers.

Comment

Sending my love and commiserations and sincerest condolences to all the family and friends and fellow FluTrackers who are feeling the loss of such a wonderful woman, mom, nurse, and advisor/administrator as Laura Montgomery was (LMonty).
                May she rest in peace with the angels now that her earthly days have come to conclusion. She'll ever be remembered for her sense of humor and her gifted insights and wisdom that served us as a light in all the darkness of these troubled and difficult times.
                love, joseph clay roehl
                11 Rodney St.
                New Brighton
                Christchurch, NZ 8061

Comment

There are no words that I can add that have not already been more eloquently stated other than my heartfelt thanks for her work here and elsewhere for helping people and disseminating needed information.
                  We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Condolences to all who knew and loved her.

Comment

Posted here as requested. Thank you Kevin for the email. Your mother was a wonderful person.

Sent: Aug 2, 2019 1:52 PM
                      To: flutrackers@earthlink.net
                      Subject: LMONTE - Laura Montgomery

Hello, I have been slowly scouring the internet since August 2012 for pictures of my mom. Today i came across the site Flutrackers and i lost it, i couldn't hold the tears back from what i was reading about my mom. My name is Kevin and i am Laura's eldest son. When mom died i was in Afghanistan deployed with the US Army and was in udder shock at the event. If at all possible i'd like to join the site for one specific reason, I would like to thank everyone that commented on the notification thread about mom's passing for their kind words and sharing how mom affected them not only on a professional level but on a personal one as well. To know she was as loved and respected as she was has left me a feeling that mom really did leave her mark in this world and i'd like the chance to say thank you to everyone who shared their experience with her. Thank you and be safe.

Respectfully,
                      Kevin Archbald

Comment

Working...
                      X