Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Attempt to Censor the Internet in the United States - PROTECT IP Act - Stop Online Piracy Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Attempt to Censor the Internet in the United States - PROTECT IP Act - Stop Online Piracy Act

Tim Wu: what if we'd treated Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak the way we treated Aaron Swartz?

Cory Doctorow at 5:47 pm Tue, Jan 15

snip

In this sense, Swartz must be compared to two other eccentric geniuses, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, who, in the nineteen-seventies, committed crimes similar to, but more economically damaging than, Swartz’s. Those two men hacked A.T. & T.’s telephone system to make free long-distance calls, and actually sold the illegal devices (blue boxes) to make cash. Their mentor, John Draper, did go to jail for a few months (where he wrote one of the world’s first word processors), but Jobs and Wozniak were never prosecuted. Instead, they got bored of phreaking and built a computer. The great ones almost always operate at the edge.

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/15/tim...d-treated.html
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    And the pure light within you
    Guide your way on."

"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, lies your calling."
    Aristotle

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
    Mohandas Gandhi

Be the light that is within.

Comment

Re: An Attempt to Censor the Internet in the United States - PROTECT IP Act - Stop Online Piracy Act

“Aaron's law,” Congressional investigation in wake of Swartz suicide
      Computer Fraud and Abuse Act would be amended to exclude EULA violations.

by Timothy B. Lee - Jan 16 2013, 11:04 am EST

snip

On Tuesday, Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) took to the pages of reddit to introduce legislation she dubbed "Aaron's Law." Lofgren's bill would modify the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the basis for Swartz's prosecution,

snip

Meanwhile, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) has told the Huffington Post that he is investigating the actions of the US Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts, led by Carmen Ortiz.

"I’m not condoning [Swartz's] hacking, but he’s certainly someone who worked very hard,” Issa said. “Had he been a journalist and taken that same material that he gained from MIT, he would have been praised for it. It would have been like the Pentagon Papers."

snip

The Obama administration is also facing grassroots pressure to fire Ortiz. A petition asking for Ortiz's removal has attracted more than 35,000 signatures, easily clearing the 25,000 signatures needed for an official response from the White House.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...wartz-suicide/
      "May the long time sun
      Shine upon you,
      All love surround you,
      And the pure light within you
      Guide your way on."

"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, lies your calling."
      Aristotle

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
      Mohandas Gandhi

Be the light that is within.

Comment

Das Ende des Urheberrechts" Ein Blick auf das neue Mega
        Einige US-Medien haben einen Testzugang zu Mega erhalten und den Sharehoster ausprobiert. Gizmodo meint: "Dieser Dienst könnte das Urheberrecht für immer demontieren."

(this service could destruct copyright once and forever)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_(website)
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: [url]http://bit.ly/hFI7H[/url] ILI-charts: [url]http://bit.ly/CcRgT[/url]

Comment

The Atlantic: Academics Agree MIT Should Have Done More for Aaron Swartz
          "A failure to act ethically, and a failure to show compassion"
          Robinson Meyer Aug 7 2013, 2:08 PM ET

Huffington Post: Darrell Issa Says Aaron Swartz Report Raises Questions About DOJ Prosecution
          Posted: 08/07/2013 5:28 pm EDT | Updated: 08/08/2013 1:05 pm EDT

Questions raised by bloggers earlier:
          Healthcare Renewal: The Tragic Case of Aaron Swartz: Unequal Justice for Web Activists vs ...Corporate Executives
          “‘i love myself.’
          the
          quietest.
          simplest.
          most
          powerful.
          revolution
          ever.” ---- nayyirah waheed

Avatar: Franz Marc, Liegender Hund im Schnee 1911 (My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)

Comment

The corporate oligarchy at work. Whether it be in the Capitol Rotunda in Madison WI or on the internet, they are working to silence free speech.

Comment

http://crosscut.com/2014/06/27/films...e-film-rustin/
              The Internet's Own Boy', the sad, searing tale of Aaron Swartz
              The young, gifted hacktivist mined secret data for the public good - until he was driven to suicide.

By Rustin Thompson

The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz documents the sad tale of the information activist and brilliant computer programmer who committed suicide in early 2013. The movie presents damning evidence of death by intimidation, perpetrated by the United States government against one of its own citizens, orchestrated by a paranoid national security apparatus and an overzealous Federal prosecutor. The Internet’s Own Boy will leave you angry, suspicious, even shocked; it is both a searing work of protest and rage, and a deeply moving portrait of a gifted, likeable young man driven to despair by the very country he loved and sought to help...
              “‘i love myself.’
              the
              quietest.
              simplest.
              most
              powerful.
              revolution
              ever.” ---- nayyirah waheed

Avatar: Franz Marc, Liegender Hund im Schnee 1911 (My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)

Comment

For those interested in Aaron's work, particularly as it relates to internet freedom and copyrights, I would also recommend Lawrence Lessig's Harvard Law inaugural address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HAw1i4gOU4

Comment

Working...
                X