X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important FT tool - "advanced search"

Using Advanced Search:

For example, say you wanted to find all articles containing anything about Manipur, India, posted in the last month:

1. Click on the word “Search” on the top blue bar, 2 positions to the right of the red button reading “latest posts.”

2. A drop down menu will appear. Go to the bottom and click on words “Advanced Search”.

3. A new window will appear. Under “Search Forums”, enter your search criteria into the box labeled “keyword” under the “search by keyword”. For example, if you wanted to find all articles for Manipur, just key “Manipur” into the keyword box.

4. If you wanted to further refine your search to recent events, perhaps the last 4 weeks, then look under “Search options” and find the “Find Posts From” option. In the “Any date” box, use the drop down menu arrow and select the line reading “A Month Ago.”

5. If you want to see the individual posts (so you don’t need to read through the entire thread), then further below is the “Show results as” option. Click on “Posts.”

6. Go to the bottom and click the “Search Now” button.

And………….you should have all articles mentioning Manipur posted in the last month, regardless of which forum, sub forum, or thread they were posted into.

I have found that people may post articles about Manipur under: India tracking, or India government, or India sequences, or Scientific articles, or H5N1 in farm animals, or animal studies, etc., etc.

We cannot assume that all articles are filed where we think they should be!

I hope this is helpful,

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Re: Important FT tool - "advanced search"

Thanks for the tips!

Sometimes I spend as much time trying to decide where to place an article as I do actually posting it. So I'm sure mine don't always end up where they are expected to be.

Another tip: for words under 3 letters, use the Google search with the Flutrackers option checked.
    The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread

I find the 'Search forum' and 'search this thread' buttons useful too. Go to a forum or thread, the button appears in the navigation bar.

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
        Thanks for the tips!

Sometimes I spend as much time trying to decide where to place an article as I do actually posting it. So I'm sure mine don't always end up where they are expected to be.

Another tip: for words under 3 letters, use the Google search with the Flutrackers option checked.
        When you put an article into "Current News" I'll do the filing for you. After at least 4 days, I set it up with a redirect, i.e., it stays available for 14 days in "Current News" so that people who cannot be on the forum everyday can click on "Current News" and still see the newer posts. But after 4 days (or longer if I'm short on time), I set it up with a "redirect" to it's eventual home elsewhere in the great FT library! - it can still be found by clicking "Current News", but it has actually been filed in it's long term home. I've been doing this for about 2 1/2+ years, so at least I'm (supposed to be) consistant. I've noticed that articles that appear to be on the same subject get "filed" in a wide variety of places. That's why the search function is helpful.

If you want your article to be easily visible for 14 days, put it into "Current News".

Shucks - I didn't pay attention to the Google search - I'm still in the original format. Love it - we have 2 options.

The inhouse search is good when you KNOW you read something over a year ago, ?or was it over 2 years ago?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Can you use the search function to query on Star rating?
          I often use the advanced search and sometimes 'Star' good threads and it is often exactly these threads I which to link/refer to at a latter date, and waste time trying to re-find. If I could rate them at the time and then use this as a query filter that would be helpful.

Comment

bump this for the newcomers.

Comment

Merci à tous

Comment

Working...
              X