For more information, call:
    Scott Coppenbarger
    OU Medical Center/The Children?s Hospital at OU Medical Center
    Office: (405) 271-7900 X4
    Cell: (405) 593-5289
    scott.coppenbarger@hcahealthcare.com

Oklahoman Living in Haiti Doing Well After Contracting Zika

Infectious Disease Expert Explains the Mosquito-Transmitted Disease

Oklahoma City — While the threat of the Zika virus and worry of its spread are just now reaching the U.S., Oklahoma State University graduate Lauren Steverson is one of nearly four million whom the World Health Organization estimates will contract the mosquito-borne virus this year.

Steverson, 23, of Tuttle, is a missionary currently living in Cabaret, Haiti, located in the southwest part of the country just north of the capital, Port-au-Prince. Steverson was infected by a mosquito carrying the virus there a little more than two weeks ago.

“I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever,” Steverson said. “I had a headache and back pain…and the rash, for me, wasn’t that bad.” By the end of her short illness, the itchy rash had spread to her chest, face, arms and legs.
    By the time she got sick, Steverson was prepared. Other people in Cabaret had contracted the virus shortly before she did. Since she’s not pregnant, Steverson took a pain reliever and let the disease run its course.

http://www.oumedicine.com/home/news-...ntracting-zika
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X