D A V I D Y . I G E
    G O V E R N O R
    V I R G I N I A P R E S S L E R , M D
    D I R E C T O R
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 21, 2016 16-017

HAWAII DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CONFIRMS ANOTHER CASE
    OF TRAVEL-RELATED ZIKA IN THE STATE

HONOLULU – The Hawaii State Department of Health (DOH) is investigating another imported
    case of Zika virus in Hawaii. This is the second case of Zika to be confirmed this year by the
    department’s State Laboratories Division. The Kauai resident has a history of recent travel to
    Latin America and may still be infectious. The individual has been advised to keep indoors and
    stay protected from mosquitoes. No additional information will be made available about this
    case to respect the privacy of the individual.

A Vector Control team will visit the individual’s residence to survey the area for mosquitoes and
    determine if there is a need to treat the area to reduce any mosquito breeding sites. DOH is
    coordinating closely with its county partners to assure a targeted and efficient response.

“As Zika continues to spread in multiple regions across the world, we anticipate that we will
    experience an increase in imported cases and must take precautionary measures to reduce our
    risk for an outbreak in Hawaii,” said Health Director Dr. Virginia Pressler. “There are several
    simple steps that we can take as a community to accomplish this, such as getting rid of standing
    water around our homes to reduce mosquito breeding sites and using repellant or protective
    clothing to prevent mosquito bites. It is crucial that we keep these practices top-of-mind as we
    prepare for travel in and out of the state, especially to areas that may be affected by Zika and
    other mosquito-borne illnesses.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends special precautions for women
    who are pregnant or may become pregnant. Pregnant women should not travel to areas with
    Zika. If travel cannot be avoided, women should consult with their healthcare providers first and
    vigilantly follow steps to protect themselves from mosquitoes.

http://health.hawaii.gov/news/files/...-the-State.pdf
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X