Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military discloses at least 41 troops infected with Zika virus this year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Military discloses at least 41 troops infected with Zika virus this year

    At least 11 U.S. troops have been infected with the Zika virus since January, nearly all of whom traveled to countries where the mosquito-born illness is prevalent, a Pentagon health report published Friday disclosed.
    In addition, four dependents of servicemembers — which can include spouses and children — and two military retirees contracted the illness, according to the report. It underscored the risks to military personnel of child-bearing age exposed to the virus during deployments.
    A fetus infected with the Zika virus during the first three months of pregnancy has about a 1% to 13% chance of developing microcephaly, an abnormally small head usually caused by incomplete brain development, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...year/85343632/
    Last edited by tetano; August 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM.

  • #2
    Surveillance Snapshot: Zika Virus Infection Among Military Health System Beneficiaries Following Introduction of the Virus into the Western Hemisphere, 20 May 2016
    James V. Writer, MPH; Daniela E. Poss, MPH; Stic Harris, DVM, MPH

    snip

    As of 20 May 2016, the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Branch (AFHSB) has recorded 17 confirmed Zika virus infections in Military Health System (MHS) beneficiaries; two probable cases were also reported. The first confirmed Department of Defense (DoD) case had an illness onset in late January 2016. Of the 17 confirmed cases, 10 (59%) were reported in Disease Reporting System internet (DRSi); the remaining seven cases (41%) came from other sources, including direct reporting to AFHSB and reviews of laboratory test results.

    more...

    http://www.health.mil/Reference-Center
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    And the pure light within you
    Guide your way on."

    "Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, lies your calling."
    Aristotle

    “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
    Mohandas Gandhi

    Be the light that is within.

    Comment


    • #3
      33 US military members have contracted Zika

      Washington (CNN)Thirty-three members of the US military have contracted the Zika virus overseas in countries where the virus has been identified, according to the Pentagon.

      One of the military service members is a pregnant female. Under Pentagon health policies, female service members are permitted to move out of countries where Zika exists.
      An additional six people who have military personnel in their families have also been infected, according to Maj. Ben Sakrisson, a Pentagon spokesman. He could not say how many are still ill or how many have returned to the United States. The Pentagon began tracking the number of personnel with Zika earlier this year.

      http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/03/po...ase/index.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Zika hits the U.S. military: 41 troops, 7 family members diagnosed
        Patricia Kime, Military Times 6:01 p.m. EDT August 3, 2016
        ...
        Forty-one service members have contracted Zika since the Pentagon began tracking infections earlier this year, including one who is expecting a baby, according to Defense Department surveillance records.
        ...

        http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...rly+Bird+Brief
        "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
        -Nelson Mandela

        Comment

        Working...
        X