X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Death in Wyoming

Source: http://cbs4denver.com/wireapnewswy/L...2.1236899.html

Laramie County Woman Dies From Swine Flu

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) ― The Wyoming Department of Health says a Laramie County woman who died over the weekend has been confirmed as the state's second swine flu fatality.

Health department spokeswoman Kim Deti says the department is not identifying the 46-year-old woman.

A 21-year-old woman from Fremont County who died in August was the state's first death from swine flu.

The health department says both women had underlying health problems that increased their risk of complications from influenza.

Deti says Wyoming has received its first 3,400 doses of a flu vaccine and has distributed it to county health departments. She says the state expects to receive more of the vaccine shortly.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: 2nd Death in Wyoming

Source: http://www.kgwn.tv/story.aspx?ID=3019&Cat=2

Second Wyoming Flu Death Reported

Cheyenne - 10/8/2009

The adult female resident of Laramie County had underlying health conditions linked with higher risk of severe illness.

?This death is certainly sad to acknowledge. Unfortunately, a few people die in Wyoming every year due to flu complications,? said Dr. Tracy Murphy, state epidemiologist with the Wyoming Department of Health. ?We have known this would also be likely with H1N1.? In the previous nine years, up to 11 flu-related deaths have been reported per year in Wyoming.

?Flu activity around Wyoming right now is high. In fact, case numbers are as high or higher than the peaks reported during a number of recent winters with seasonal influenza,? Murphy said.

Since late May, 1014 cases of influenza have been reported to the department. A very large (58 percent) portion of this total has been reported over the last three weeks. The department expects the number of actual flu infections around the state to be much higher because most ill persons do not seek medical care or are not tested.

Over the same timeframe, the department has received reports of 19 hospitalizations among Wyoming residents in connection with the swine flu virus. ?As our overall flu numbers climb, we can expect to see more hospitalizations and possibly deaths in our state,? Murphy said.

Murphy said the department?s surveillance shows Wyoming?s flu activity is almost 100 percent due to the novel H1N1 flu strain.
    ?The illness remains similar to seasonal flu, and isn?t showing any indications of change,? he added. Influenza symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headaches and fatigue. Some patients also report diarrhea and vomiting.

Comment

Working...
    X