Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA: Flu activity in Southwest region of state has peaked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA: Flu activity in Southwest region of state has peaked?

According to the VA DoH Influenza Activity Report, the Southwest region has had a distinctly different pattern from the other regions in the state, as the screen cap below for Wk 52 shows. But I couldn't find any CDC or state data that shows that the area has peaked. Maybe the data isn't available yet, or I'm missing something somewhere.

Regardless, this is the first mention that I've seen anywhere about flu activity peaking.

Flu cases have peaked for Southwest Virginia

January 09, 2013

"Dr. Tim Fortuna, Carilion Clinic ER physician says, "There is no place that is really spared that's for sure. It does seem like all populations are being affected with some version of the illness, either mild or severe."

...While so many flu tests continue to turn up positive for folks in our area some of you may be about the three possible options for us:

*Will our cases continue to go up?

*Will they level off?

*Will they start to decline?

Dr. Fortuna has the latest facts on that, "According to the CDC it does look like in Southwest Virginia we have spiked in our infection rates and those are starting to decline now. Things are starting to get better."

But this year's flu vaccine doesn't appear to be providing as much protection as it has in the past, so keep washing those hands and taking other precautions...

He says, "The strain that we are seeing a lot is in the vaccine, it's just that they are still not getting the immunity we normally get from the flu shot."...".

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Re: VA: Flu activity in Southwewst region of state has peaked?

Perhaps the person being quoted has more first-hand information about the overall status of flu in the region, but the chart doesn't suggest that it has peaked. The slope of the line has decreased but the numbers are still higher than last week. We've seen several false peaks, and we've seen some decreases in the magnitude of weekly increases, but there are few examples of true post peak conditions. Also, with multiple strains circulating, sometimes in different waves, we might see a lot of strange ILI graphs as the season progresses.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Working...
    X