Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Influenza 2019-20; 6 fatalities; 2 pediatric

State Flu Homepage: http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/...nce/index.html

Utahns advised to get flu shots after 2 deaths in Salt Lake County this season
    by Hayley Crombleholme Friday, December 13th 2019

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — When kids catch the flu, it can lead to pneumonia, and even death in rare cases. But a recent study found that only a fraction of childcare centers require students or staff to get vaccinated.

KUTV

In Salt Lake County, flu activity is still low, but flu cases were on the rise last week. Health department data shows two people have died from flu-related illness in the county this season.

https://kutv.com/news/local/official...ty-this-season
    Last edited by Ronan Kelly; January 11, 2020, 07:42 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

State’s first flu death confirmed in southern Utah
    By Ashley Imlay, KSL | Posted - Jan 7th, 2020 @ 1:47pm

ST. GEORGE — Utah’s first death caused by the flu was confirmed Tuesday, according to health officials.

The Southwest Utah Public Health Department said the death occurred recently in one of the five counties in its district, which includes Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane and Washington counties.

The person who died was under age 65 and had type A influenza
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Report Date: December 29 to January 04, 2020 (MMWR week 1)

What’s New This Week
      Influenza activity is high in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu like getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (65%) and influenza A (35%) are currently being detected, with the majority of influenza A viruses being H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 255 have been reported so far this season, including 61 in the most recent report week. The overall severity is considered Moderate. It’s not too late to get a flu vaccine, you can find one near you at vaccinefinder.org.
      Moderate
      Current Week Severity Estimate

Widespread
      Current Week Utah Geographic Spread

Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

B
      Current Week Predominant Influenza Virus

Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah.png
Views:	1081
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	822617

Comment

Report Date: January 05 to January 11, 2020 (MMWR week 2)

What’s New This Week
        Influenza activity is high in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu like getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (64%) and influenza A (36%) are currently being detected, with the majority of influenza A viruses being H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 332 have been reported so far this season, including 64 in the most recent report week. The overall severity is considered Moderate. It’s not too late to get a flu vaccine, you can find one near you at vaccinefinder.org.

Moderate

Widespread

B

Views:	1079
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	823191

Comment

What’s New This Week
          Influenza activity is high in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu like getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (61%) and influenza A (39%) are currently being detected, with the majority of influenza A viruses being H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 407 have been reported so far this season, including 71 in the most recent report week. The overall severity is considered High becasue of high levels of Influenza-like Illness and positive laboratory results. However, the number of hospitalizations and Pneumonia and Influenza deaths are about normal for this time of year. It’s not too late to get a flu vaccine, you can find one near you at vaccinefinder.org.

High

Widespread

B

Views:	1044
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	824647

Comment

Utah County man dies of complications from the flu
            by Kyle HarveyFriday, January 24th 2020

PLEASANT GROVE — The family says everyone in the Hernandez household came down sick last week.

Father Jesus, 40, was the strongest of the bunch. But of everyone in the family of six, he was the only one who couldn’t shake it.
            A medical report lists Hernandez’s cause of death as acute hypoxia respiratory failure, with septic shock due to influenza pneumonia.
            KUTV CBS 2 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Salt Lake City and nearby towns and communities in the Great Salt Lake area, including Jordan Meadows, Millcreek, Murray, Holladay, Kearns, West Valley City, West Jordan, South Jordan, Sandy, Draper, Riverton, Bluffdale, Herriman, Magna, Bountiful, Centerville, Cottonwood Heights, Alpine, Highland, Summit Park, Park City, Heber City, Grantsville, Farmington, Kayville, Layton, Syracuse, Clearfield, Morgan, Roy, Ogden, American Fork, Orem, Provo, Springville, Spanish Fork, Payson, Nephi, and Tooele.

Comment

Health department investigating deaths of 2 Utah teens who tested positive with influenza
              By Wendy Leonard, KSL | Posted - Jan 25th, 2020 @ 9:45pm

OGDEN — The Weber-Morgan Health Department is investigating the deaths of two Riverdale students, who recently tested positive with influenza.

“We are extremely saddened for the families and friends of these young individuals,” said Amy Carter, epidemiologist with the Weber-Morgan Health Department. She said the two individuals, both juveniles whose names were not released, had different strains of the flu virus.

The two teens, ages 16* and 13, allegedly both passed away from complications of their illnesses on Friday while hospitalized at Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City.

Comment

Report Date: January 19 to January 25, 2020 (MMWR week 4)

What’s New This Week
                Influenza activity is high in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (58%) and influenza A (42%) are currently being detected, with the majority of influenza A viruses being H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 535 have been reported so far this season, including 100 in the most recent report week. The overall severity is considered High because of high levels of Influenza-like Illness and positive laboratory results. However, the number of hospitalizations and Pneumonia and Influenza deaths are at expected levels for this time of year.
                Sadly, two influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported to UDOH during this report period. While the cases were from the same area, they had different strains of influenza and don’t represent an increased public health risk. Getting a flu shot has been shown to save lives in children. It’s not too late to get a flu vaccine.

High

Widespread

B

Views:	1035
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	826474

Comment

Utah mom, 41, dies of influenza
                  Posted: 5:08 PM, Jan 10, 2020 Updated: 7:08 PM, Jan 10, 2020
                  By: David Wells

ST. GEORGE, Utah — A 41-year-old St. George woman died last month after becoming infected with influenza type A.

An obituary posted on her husband’s Facebook page identifies her as Maria Larson.

According to her family, Larson died on December 31 from severe complications of influenza.
                  ST. GEORGE, Utah — A 41-year-old St. George woman died last month after becoming infected with influenza type A. An obituary posted on her husband’s Facebook page identifies her as Maria Larson. According to her family, Larson died on December 31 from severe complications of influenza. Larson’s husb

Comment

Report Date: January 26 to February 01, 2020 (MMWR week 5)

What’s New This Week
                    Influenza activity remains widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (55%) and influenza A (45%) are currently being detected, with the majority of influenza A viruses being H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 641 have been reported so far this season, including 78 in the most recent report week. The overall severity is considered High because of high levels of Influenza-like Illness and positive laboratory results. However, the number of hospitalizations and Pneumonia and Influenza deaths are at expected levels for this time of year.

Influenza-Like Illness reports to UDOH have been delayed this reporting period due to technical issues. Therefore, data included in this report are from the previous report week. Preliminary data analysis from partial reports indicate the ILI activity level is still “high”.

High

Widespread

B

Views:	959
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	828106

Comment

Report Date: February 02 to February 08, 2020 (MMWR week 6)

What’s New This Week
                      Influenza activity remains high and widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Both influenza B (48%) and influenza A (52%) are being detected at about equal rates, a slight change from previous reporting periods where influenza B was more common. The majority of influenza A viruses detected are the H1N1 subtype. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 759 have been reported so far this season, including 90 in the most recent report week. This is a bad flu season for children and young adults who are experiencing a lot of flu illness and high rates of hospitalization nationwide. The overall severity this week is moderate, however high levels of Influenza-like Illness are still being reported.

Moderate

Widespread

B

Views:	953
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	829448

Comment

Report Date: February 09 to February 15, 2020 (MMWR week 7)

What’s New This Week
                        Influenza activity remains high and widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Influenza A H1N1 (62%) was the most common virus detected this week, a change from earlier this season where influenza B was more common. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 876 have been reported so far this season including 94 in the most recent report week. This is a bad flu season for children and young adults who are experiencing a lot of flu illness and high rates of hospitalization nationwide. The overall severity this week is moderate, however high levels of Influenza-like Illness are still being reported.

Moderate

Widespread

A H1N1

Views:	925
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	830706

Comment

Report Date: February 16 to February 22, 2020 (MMWR week 8)

What’s New This Week
                          Influenza activity remains high and widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Influenza A H1N1 (68%) was the most common virus detected this week, a change from earlier this season where influenza B was more common. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, 975 have been reported so far this season including 80 in the most recent report week. This is a bad flu season for children and young adults who are experiencing a lot of flu illness and high rates of hospitalization nationwide. Last week CDC published Interim Estimates of 2019–20 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness. Notably, so far this season, 2019-20 flu vaccines have helped cut in half the number of doctor’s visits for flu among vaccinated children 6 months through 17 years old. It’s not too late to get an influenza vaccine.

Views:	923
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	833137

Comment

What’s New This Week
                            Influenza activity remains high and widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Influenza A H1N1 was the most common virus detected this week. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, over 1000 have been reported so far this season. This is a bad flu season for children and young adults who are experiencing a lot of flu illness and high rates of hospitalization nationwide. This month CDC published Interim Estimates of 2019–20 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness. Notably, so far this season, 2019-20 flu vaccines have helped cut in half the number of doctor’s visits for flu among vaccinated children 6 months through 17 years old. It’s not too late to get an influenza vaccine.

Moderate

Widespread

A H1N1

Views:	912
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	835638

Comment

Report Date: March 01 to March 07, 2020 (MMWR week 10)

What’s New This Week
                              Influenza activity remains high and widespread in Utah, highlighting the need to take action to prevent the flu including getting the vaccine, staying home when you are sick, and calling your doctor if you think you have the flu. Influenza A H1N1 was the most common virus detected this week. Hospitalizations have continued to increase, over 1000 have been reported so far this season. This is a bad flu season for children and young adults who are experiencing a lot of flu illness and high rates of hospitalization nationwide. This month CDC published Interim Estimates of 2019–20 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness. Notably, so far this season, 2019-20 flu vaccines have helped cut in half the number of doctor’s visits for flu among vaccinated children 6 months through 17 years old. It’s not too late to get an influenza vaccine.

Moderate

Widespread

A H1N1

Views:	848
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	838821
                              http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/...za_Report.html

Comment

Working...
                              X