No announcement yet.

Utah Influenza 2018-19; 4 pediatric fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Date: February 03 to February 09, 2019 (MMWR week 6)

What?s New This Week
    Influenza activity continued to increase throughout the state this week. The 2018-19 influenza season is rated ?Moderate Severity?, all severity measures are now moderate or high. The number of influenza-associated hospitalizations is still below the peak of past influenza seasons, however, the percent of patients at medical facilities with influenza symptoms (ILI) is the second highest recorded in the past five seasons. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family. UDOH recommends getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza. If you do have influenza, stay home for at least 24 hours after fever subsides to help stop its spread.

Moderate Current Season Severity Estimate

Widespread Current Utah Geographic Spread

737 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

A 2009 (H1N1) Predominant Circulating Influenza Strain

Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah.png
Views:	61
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	807395
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Report Date: February 10 to February 16, 2019 (MMWR week 7)

What?s New This Week
      Influenza activity continued to increase throughout the state this week. The 2018-19 influenza season is currently rated ?High Severity?. This severity assessment is being driven by high levels of community illnesses as seen in the rate of influenza-like illness (ILI) and positive laboratory results. The total number of influenza associated-hospitalizations, however, is about average for this time of the year. Last week, CDC released a national Influenza Activity Update and Interim Estimates of 2018-19 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

High Current Season Severity Estimate

Widespread Current Utah Geographic Spread

917 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	44
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	807929
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Report Date: February 17 to February 23, 2019 (MMWR week 8)

What?s New This Week
        Widespread influenza activity continues throughout the state this week. Influenza-like Illness (ILI) continued increasing and is the second highest observed in the past five years. The total number of influenza associated-hospitalizations is about average for this time of the year. The percent of positive influenza laboratory results decreased slightly and with it the weekly influenza severity estimate returned to ?moderate?. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high?. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah to date has been A 2009 (H1N1), but A H3 activity has increased in the past weeks. Last week, A H3 accounted for the majority (60%) of subtyped influenza A viruses. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

Moderate Current Week Severity Estimate

Widespread Current Week Utah Geographic Spread

1081 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	43
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	808496

Comment

What?s New This Week
          Widespread influenza activity continues throughout the state this week. Hospitalization and Influenza-like Illness (ILI) rates decreased slightly but are still elevated and indicate considerable influenza activity. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A 2009 (H1N1) but A H3 activity has increased recently, peaking at 70% of subtyped influenza A viruses this week. UDOH will continue to monitor this trend closely. Additionally, for the first time this season the rate of mortality due to pneumonia and influenza is above the epidemic threshold (see Mortality tab above). As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high?, while this week was rated ?moderate?. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1243 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

A H3 Current Week Predominant Influenza Strain

Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	808920

Comment

Report Date: March 03 to March 09, 2019 (MMWR week 10)

What?s New This Week
            Widespread influenza activity continues throughout the state this week. There were slight decreases across most measures of influenza activity, though Influenza-like Illness (ILI) and the percent of positive laboratory results are still above average for this time of year and indicate considerable influenza activity. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A 2009 (H1N1) but A H3 activity has increased recently and currently account for nearly 75% of subtyped influenza A viruses this week. It is not unusual to see a second wave of influenza activity caused by a different type of influenza, however it is normally caused by influenza B instead of the other influenza A strain. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high?, while this week was rated ?moderate?. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1349 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	809357

Comment

Third Utah child dies of flu this season
              POSTED 10:10 PM, MARCH 18, 2019, BY KIERSTEN NU?EZ

SALT LAKE CITY ? The flu has now claimed the lives of three Utah children this season in what doctors are calling one of the worst influenza outbreaks in years.
              The Utah Department of Health only tracks flu deaths for children, but three this year in comparison to none last season shines a light on how bad this year is.

?What's coming in the emergency room doors, what?s coming in the clinic room doors, those numbers are just tremendous,? said Dr. T.W. Jones, University of Utah medical school, Primary Children's Hospital.
              SALT LAKE CITY — The flu has now claimed the lives of three Utah children this season in what doctors are calling one of the worst influenza outbreaks in years. The Utah Department of Health only tracks flu deaths for children, but three this year in comparison to none last season shines a light on

Comment

4th Utah child dies from influenza, according to the Utah Department of Health
                By: Jenn Gardiner
                Posted: Mar 19, 2019 03:57 PM MDT

Updated: Mar 19, 2019 10:16 PM MDT

The Utah Department of Health is now reporting four children have died during this year's flu season.

According to Keegan McCaffrey, Analytic Epidemiologist at Utah Department of Health, the four children (under the age of 18), all tested positive for influenza, so their deaths are considered related to having the flu.

McCaffrey would only confirm the four children that died lived in Utah but was not able to confirm which county each of them lived in.

Comment

Report Date: March 10 to March 16, 2019 (MMWR week 11)

What?s New This Week
                  The current report suggests that influenza activity has likely peaked but remains widespread in Utah. Influenza-like Illness (ILI) and the percent of positive laboratory results are above average for this late in the influenza season, driven by a second wave of H3N2-predominant activity. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A 2009 (H1N1) but A H3 activity has increased recently and currently accounts for about 75% of subtyped influenza A viruses this week. It is not unusual to see a second wave of influenza activity caused by a different type of influenza, however it is normally caused by influenza B instead of the other influenza A strain. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high?, while this week was rated ?moderate?. Utah is likely to continue to see elevated influenza activity for the upcoming weeks, so it?s important to protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1456 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	36
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	810050

Comment

Report Date: March 17 to March 23, 2019 (MMWR week 12)

What?s New This Week
                    Influenza activity in Utah continued to decrease this week, but remains above average for this late in the season. Of the 13 Local Health Jurisdictions, six continued to report elevated Influenza-like Illness (ILI) (mostly along the Wasatch front and in Southwest Utah) indicating ongoing regional transmission of influenza. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A (H1N1)pdm09 but A(H3N2) activity has increased recently and currently accounts for about 84% of subtyped influenza A viruses this week. While the majority of circulating Influenza viruses are antigenically similar to the viruses included in this seasons? vaccine, an increasing proportion of influenza A(H3N2) nationally are the 3C.3a strain, which is antigenically distinguishable from the vaccine strain. This trend could have a negative effect on the end-of-season vaccine efficacy so UDOH will continue to monitor circulating influenza viruses closely. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high,? while this week was rated ?low.? Because influenza is still circulating in our communities, UDOH continues to recommend you protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

Low Current Week Severity Estimate

Regional Current Week Utah Geographic Spread

1554 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	36
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	810459

Comment

What?s New This Week
                      Influenza activity stayed about level last week and remains elevated in Utah. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A (H1N1)pdm09 but A(H3N2) has been the main circulating virus since mid-February. Because influenza A(H3N2) viruses may be associated with severe disease in older adults, CDC released Health Alert last week emphasizing the importance of prompt treatment with antivirals especially for all hospitalized, severely ill, and high-risk patients with suspected or confirmed influenza. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high,? while this week was rated ?low.? Because influenza is still circulating in our communities, UDOH continues to recommend you protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1640 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	811027

Comment

Report Date: April 07 to April 13, 2019 (MMWR week 15)

What?s New This Week
                        Influenza activity has continued to decrease but remains slightly elevated in Utah. Activity is now similar to what has been seen at this time during past seasons. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A (H1N1)pdm09 but A(H3N2) has been the main circulating virus since mid-February. Because influenza A(H3N2) viruses may be associated with severe disease in older adults, UDOH recommends prompt treatment with antivirals especially for all hospitalized, severely ill, and high-risk patients with suspected or confirmed influenza. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high,? while this week was rated ?low.? Because influenza is still circulating in our communities, UDOH continues to recommend you protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1680 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	34
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	811362

Comment

Report Date: April 14 to April 20, 2019 (MMWR week 16)

What?s New This Week
                          Influenza activity remains slightly elevated in Utah. The most common circulating influenza virus in Utah this season has been A (H1N1)pdm09 but A(H3N2) has been the main circulating virus since mid-February. Because influenza A(H3N2) viruses may be associated with severe disease in older adults, UDOH recommends prompt treatment with antivirals especially for all hospitalized, severely ill, and high-risk patients with suspected or confirmed influenza. As a whole, 2018-19 seasonal severity estimate is ?high,? while this week was rated ?low.? Because influenza is still circulating in our communities, UDOH continues to recommend you protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot if you haven?t already, wash your hands often, cover your coughs and sneezes, and call your doctor if you think you have influenza.

1740 Seasonal Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations

Views:	38
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	811835

Comment

Working...
                          X