• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah has 1st swine flu-related death

Source: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6552597

Utah has 1st swine flu-related death

May 20th, 2009 @ 5:38pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- The swine flu has claimed its first victim in Utah. The State Department of Health made the announcement Wednesday, saying the person died in Salt Lake County.

Doctors say 21-year-old Marcos Sanchez was admitted to University Medical Center Tuesday and died sometime around 9 a.m. Wednesday.
    They say he tested positive for the novel influenza A H1N1 virus, but also had several underlying medical conditions that may have led to his death.

"He developed a respiratory illness in the spring of this year and has been ill with respiratory illnesses on and off since, but influenza-like symptoms -- the high fevers, the cough -- that's been going on for a few days," explained Dr. Dagmar Vitek, with the Salt Lake Valley Health Department.

Salt Lake Valley is investigating this death. At this point, they don't believe the man had traveled anywhere recently.

Health officials say they're looking closely at family members who may have spent time with him during the incubation period. The family has also requested that an autopsy be done.

This death is number nine in the United States. In Utah, there are 122 total confirmed cases; six of those are new since yesterday. Only three people have had to be hospitalized, and that includes this death.

"I think that this whole death brings this into focus that this is a lethal disease. But you know, if this were the seasonal flu, we wouldn't have a press conference for this death, because this happens every year in our state," said Dr. David Sundwall, executive director of the Utah Department of Health.

Sundwall also stressed the importance of being alert, not alarmed. He said there will probably be more deaths, but that doesn't mean you should panic.

Re: Utah has 1st swine flu-related death

Source: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=6556065

Family of swine flu victim speaks to KSL
    May 20th, 2009 @ 4:53pm
    By Ed Yeates

Video
    WEST VALLEY CITY -- A 21-year-old man from West Valley City has become Utah's first swine flu fatality.

Early Wednesday morning Christina Huitron took her son, Marcos Sanchez, off life support. She said, "I knew he was suffering. I don't know how he was feeling, but I just knew I had to do it because he was passing away slowly anyways and I didn't want him to suffer anymore."

At a courtyard outside their apartment in West Valley City, family members gathered. They knew Marcos was really sick, but had no idea he had the influenza A H1N1 virus.

Desiree Nielson, Marcos' sister, said, "I really didn't want to believe it, but I knew that he was that sick."

Marcos had suffered through the week. Family members say he had not traveled anywhere, nor had he been around anyone--they were aware of-- who might have had the influenza A H1N1 virus.

Gary Edwards, executive director of the Salt Lake Valley Health Department, said, "First and foremost, we want to express our condolences to the family and loved ones."

At a news briefing Wednesday afternoon, the Salt Lake Valley Health Department and State Health Department expressed sympathy to the family but reminded residents that this novel influenza virus is still considered mild.

Marcos, they say, may have been comprised with a chronic respiratory condition.

His family did tell us he suffered from sleep apnea, a respiratory condition that interferes with sleep.

Some family members have been sick and plan to get checked out, just in case.

Meanwhile, the advice from public health has not changed. "If you are ill with flu like symptoms, stay home, wash your hands frequently," said Edwards. "If you need to cough or sneeze, do so into your elbow or into a tissue."

Not including the Utah death, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports eight swine flu deaths in the United States.

As of Wednesday there are 122 confirmed cases in Utah.

E-mail: eyeates@ksl.com

Comment

Utah: 21 year-old is 10th US death- from 22 May 2009

From 22 May 2009- have not seen this information

"Mother forced to make decision should never have to make...
      on Wednesday 20 May 2009...told doctors to take 21 year old son off life support...knew he was suffering...
      son checked into hospital on Saturday, vomiting blood and burning fever...
      by Tuesday, multiple organ failure...
      had not traveled recently..."

At link:

Comment

Working...
      X