• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Influenza season 2017-18; 248 fatalities

Texas had reported 5 fatalities to Dec 23 - Ro

Flu outbreak grows deadlier in Dallas County

Written by
    Claire Z. Cardona, Breaking News Producer

Two more people have died of the flu in Dallas County, bringing the total this season to five.

The fourth patient was a 59-year-old Dallas resident, and the fifth was an 81-year-old Irving resident. Both died after complications from the seasonal flu, Dallas County Health and Human Services said Thursday.
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-dallas-county
    Last edited by JimO; January 12, 2018, 02:14 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Austin health officials warn flu strain spreading is most deadly
    by Melanie BardenThursday, December 28th 2017

According to the CDC, Texas is one of 23 states currently classified as "widespread" in flu cases, meaning more than half of the counties in the state have reported an outbreak, including Travis County.

Wednesday, the number of flu-related deaths in Travis County rose to three.
    Austin Public Health officials are predicting this flu season will be one of the worst Travis County has seen in years.According to the CDC, Texas is one of 23 states currently classified as widespread in flu cases, meaning more than half of the counties i

Current toll: Dallas: 5; Travis: 3 El Paso: 1; The county for the pediatric fatality was not disclosed. - Ro
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Dallas county reports sixth flu-related death
      Posted by eExtra | Jan 3, 2018 |

The Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) recently reported the sixth flu-related death in Dallas County for the 2017-2018 season.

The sixth patient was a 60-year-old resident of Dallas who died after complications from the seasonal flu.

Austin Public Health reports seven flu-related deaths in Travis County

By: Natalie Martinez
      POSTED: JAN 03 2018 09:18PM CST

VIDEO POSTED: JAN 03 2018 09:35PM CST

UPDATED: JAN 03 2018 09:37PM CST

The 2017-2018 flu season hit hard and hit sooner than expected. In Travis County alone, Austin Public Health has reported seven flu-related deaths.
      The 2017-2018 flu season hit hard and hit sooner than expected. In Travis County alone, Austin Public Health has reported seven flu-related deaths. 

Comment

Texas Is Suffering Through its Worst Flu Outbreak in Decades

STEPHEN YOUNG | JANUARY 4, 2018 | 4:00AM
        The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says flu season runs from about September to May. Most years in Texas, a number called the ILI percentage ? the number of patients doctors see with flu-like symptoms ? checks in at about 2 percent or 3 percent during the offseason and crests to about 6 percent during the worst of the flu season. This year, according to a model developed by a Carnegie Mellon University team led by Roni Rosenfeld, Texas' ILI percentage has already risen above 13 percent.

"This is really record-breaking. In the last 20 years [the estimated number of people presenting flu symptoms] hasn't reached that height," Rosenfeld says. "It's the highest it's been this early in the season, and it's the highest it's been period."

Dallas County suffered its sixth death of the 2017-18 flu season Tuesday, marking another low point in one of the worst flu seasons in decades, researchers say. While there are signs that Texas' infection rate may have peaked around the holidays, the state and Dallas County aren't out of the...
        "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
        -Nelson Mandela

Comment

3 More Deaths Reported From the Flu in Dallas County
          Published at 7:35 PM CST on Jan 4, 2018
          NBC 5 News
          Three additional deaths from flu-related illnesses have been confirmed Thursday in Dallas County, bringing the county's total this season to nine.

One of those who died was only 37 years old, according to Dallas County Health and Human Services.

The ages of the other victims were 69 and 78 years, and all three victims were residents of the city Dallas.
          Three additional deaths from flu-related illnesses have been confirmed Thursday in Dallas County, bringing the county’s total for this season to nine.

Comment

CONTACTS

Renae Crutchfield, Public Information Officer

renae.crutchfield@dallascounty.org

214.819.6329 (office) 214.394.8109 (cell)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DCHHS reports 10th and 11th flu-related deaths of season
            DALLAS (Jan. 5, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting the 10th and 11th flu-related deaths in Dallas County for the 2017-2018 season. The 10th patient was a 71-year-old resident of Grand Prairie. The 11th patient was a 95-year-old resident of Mesquite. Both patients had underlying health conditions and died after complications from the seasonal flu. For medical confidentiality and personal privacy reasons, DCHHS does not provide additional identifying information.

?There have been approximately 1,626 influenza hospitalizations reported so far this season in Dallas County,? said Dr. Christopher Perkins, Dallas County health authority/medical director. ?Older adults, individuals with chronic health conditions, pregnant women, young children and infants are more vulnerable to flu illness. With influenza activity on the rise, individuals in these groups should take special precaution as we continue throughout the season.?

Comment

Dallas Methodist Hospital at 'Critical Capacity,' Diverting Non-Emergency Flu Patients

Non-emergency cases redirected to ensure hospital can respond to emergency patients

Published at 9:42 PM CST on Jan 7, 2018 | Updated 6 minutes ago

Methodist Dallas Medical Center says they at "critical capacity" and that all non-emergency patients are being diverted to other hospitals so that they can continue to handle emergencies.

The increase in patient load is largely due to an influx of patients with the flu, the hospital said. Methodist Dallas Medical Center said they are still accepting trauma patients and that anyone who arrives at the hospital needing emergency treatment will receive treatment.
              Eleven people in Dallas County have already died from the flu this season.
              Methodist Dallas Medical Center announced Sunday night they were at “critical capacity” and that all non-emergency patients were being re-routed to other hospitals.
              "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
              -Nelson Mandela

Comment

DCHHS reports seven additional flu-related deaths of season
                12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th cases
                DALLAS (Jan. 9, 2018) – Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th flu related deaths in Dallas County for the 2017-2018 season. Six of the patients were residents of Dallas and one patient was a resident of Garland. All patients had high risk health conditions and died after complications from the seasonal flu.

Case // Age // Residence

12th // 47 // Dallas

13th // 70 // Dallas

14th // 57 // Dallas

15th // 59 // Dallas

16th // 88 // Dallas

17th // 88 // Garland

18th // 85 // Dallas
                http://www.dallascounty.org/departme...season2018.php

​Current toll: Dallas: 18; Travis: 3 El Paso: 1; The county for the pediatric fatality was not disclosed. - Ro
                Last edited by Ronan Kelly; January 11, 2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

DCHHS reports five additional flu-related deaths of season
                  19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd cases
                  DALLAS (Jan. 10, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting five additional flu related deaths in Dallas County for the 2017-2018 season. All patients were residents of Dallas who had high risk health conditions and died after complications from the seasonal flu. The age range of the patients were between the ages of 38 and 94-years-old.

Case // Age // Residence

19th // 94 // Dallas

20th // 38 // Dallas

21st // 93 // Dallas

22nd // 89 // Dallas

23rd // 71 // Dallas

6 total Flu Related Deaths Reported in Dallas and Tarrant Counties
                  Posted on January 10, 2018

Courtesy: CDC
                  FORT WORTH (WBAP/KLIF) ? Another North Texas County is reporting flu related deaths.

According to Tarrant County Public Health, three influenza-associated death were reported late Tuesday evening, marking the first voluntarily reported adult flu-related deaths of this flu season in Tarrant County.

FORT WORTH (WBAP/KLIF) - Another North Texas County is reporting flu related deaths. According to Tarrant County Public Health, three influenza-associated death were reported late Tuesday evening, marking the first voluntarily reported adult flu-related deaths of this flu season in Tarrant County

Travis County Flu Deaths Rise To 7 Amid More Resistant Virus
                  Local toll reflects national trend of spiked cases from previous seasons, exacerbated by particularly nasty H3N2 strain this go-around.
                  By Tony Cantu, Patch Staff | Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm ET | Updated Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm ET

TRAVIS COUNTY, TX ? Seven people in Travis County have died from the flu since fall, outpacing the rate of deaths of the past influenza seasons.
                  Local toll reflects national trend of spiked cases from previous seasons, exacerbated by particularly nasty H3N2 strain this go-around.

​Current toll: Dallas: 23; Travis: 7; Tarrant: 3; El Paso: 1; The county for the pediatric fatality was not disclosed. - Ro

Comment

DCHHS reports 24th 25th and 26th flu- related deaths of season

DALLAS (Jan. 11, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting the 24th, 25th and 26th flu related deaths in Dallas County for the 2017-2018 season. The 24th patient was a 87-year-old resident of Irving. The 25th patient was a 98-year-old resident of DeSoto and the 26th patient was a 79-year-old resident of Dallas. All patients died after complications from the seasonal flu.

Case // Age // Residence

24th // 87 // Irving

25th // 98 // DeSoto

26th // 79 // Dallas

Officials confirm 5 flu-related deaths in Houston area this season

Steve Campion has the latest on flu deaths in the Houston area. (KTRK)

Thursday, January 11, 2018 06:50PM
                    HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Two Houston women in their 60s died late last year after battling the flu, city health officials confirmed.

The City of Houston Health Department said one woman died at the end of November, while the other died at the end of December.

Meanwhile, Harris County Health Department officials confirmed there were two reported flu deaths this season, bringing the number of deaths to four in the Houston area.
                    In Montgomery County, officials confirmed one flu-related death.

http://abc13.com/health/officials-co...-area/2930221/

Current toll: Dallas: 26; Travis: 7; Tarrant: 3; El Paso: 1; Harris (including Houston): 4; Montgomery: 1. The county for the pediatric fatality was not disclosed. - Ro

Comment

Denton County Reports First and Second Influenza-Associated Deaths
                      January 11, 2018 ? Denton County Public Health (DCPH) is reporting the first and second influenzaassociated
                      deaths in Denton County for the 2017-2018 flu season. One influenza-associated pediatric
                      death and one influenza-associated adult death. For patient confidentiality, no further information will be
                      released.

Two flu-related deaths reported in McLennan County, health officials say

Matt Gebhard and Stephen Adams, KCEN 5:25 PM. CST January 11, 2018

There have now been two deaths attributed to the flu reported during flu season in McLennan County, according to the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District.

Last week, the total number of flu cases reported in McLennan County was 1,182, according to the health department's spokesperson Kelly Crane.
                      http://www.kcentv.com/news/health/tw...-say/507218867

By: Natalie Martinez
                      POSTED: JAN 11 2018 09:48PM CST

VIDEO POSTED: JAN 11 2018 09:34PM CST

UPDATED: JAN 11 2018 10:10PM CST
                      Austin Public Health has reported 11 flu-related deaths as of Thursday all over the age of 50.
                      http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...orted-in-texas

Current toll: Dallas: 26; Travis: 11 (including Austin); Tarrant: 3; Denton: 2; El Paso: 1; Harris (including Houston): 4; McLennan: 2; Montgomery: 1. The county for the pediatric fatality was not disclosed. - Ro

Comment

1 Child Dies Of Flu In S.A. Area

At least one child in the San Antonio area has died of the flu this season.

?This season we have had one death. Typically each flu season, we do see one or two deaths in the pediatric population,? said Rita Espinoza, Chief of Epidemiology at the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District.

Note: San Antonio is in Bexar County

by Elizabeth Ruiz At least one child in the San Antonio area has died of ?
                        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Texas DSHS is reporting 4 pediatric deaths in its Week 1 report.Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas Week 1 Pediatric Deaths.png
Views:	258
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	788167 pediatric deaths in its Week 1 report
                          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Flu 'contributing factor' in deaths of 2 Montgomery County jail inmates, officials say

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas - Montgomery County officials believe the flu is a "contributing factor" for two inmates deaths after testing positive for the virus.
                            Officials said the inmates were taken to Conroe Regional Hospital, where they later died. Officials said the flu is a contributing factor for their deaths but hesitate to call it the actual reason they died.

The causes of their deaths are pending.

Montgomery County officials believe the flu is a "contributing factor" for?two inmates deaths?after?testing?positive for the virus.

Comment

DCHHS reports five additional flu-related deaths of season
                              27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st cases

DALLAS (Jan. 12, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting five additional flu-related deaths in Dallas County totaling 31 flu-related deaths for the 2017-2018 season. The patients range in age from 38 to 60 and were residents of Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Dallas, Addison and Carrollton. All patients had high risk health conditions and died after complications from the seasonal flu. For medical confidentiality and personal privacy reasons, DCHHS does not provide additional identifying information.

Case // Age // Residence

27th // 87 // Cedar Hill

28th // 72 // Duncanville

29th // 42 // Dallas

30th // 38 // Addison

31st // 60 // Carrollton

Current toll:
                              Bexar: 1
                              Dallas: 31
                              Denton: 2
                              El Paso: 1
                              Harris (including Houston): 4
                              McLennan: 2
                              Montgomery: 1
                              Tarrant: 3
                              Travis: 11 (including Austin)
                              ​Total: 56

Comment

Working...
                              X