X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 14, 2016 NEWS RELEASE
    El Paso Records First Flu-Related Death this Season
    Residents reminded to get vaccinated, practice flu-prevention measures

EL PASO, Texas - The City of El Paso Department of Public Health has recorded the first flu-related death
    in our area this season. The case involves a woman in her late 50?s who had underlying medical
    conditions. She had tested positive for Influenza A/H1N1, and it is not known if she had received a flu
    vaccine this year.

?Our heartfelt condolences go out to this woman?s family and friends,? said Robert Resendes, Public Health
    Director. ?We continue to urge residents to do everything they can to prevent getting the flu so that we
    don?t see more tragedies like this in El Paso.?
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

2015?2016 Season Texas Influenza Surveillance Report
      MMWR Week 10 (Mar. 6, 2016 ? Mar. 12, 2016)
      Report produced on 3/18/2016
      Summary
      Influenza activity remains elevated across the state.Compared to the previous week, the percentage of specimens positive for influenza marginally increased and the percentage of patient visits due to influenza-like illness (ILI) somewhat decreased. It is too early to tell if influenza activity has peaked for the season. Five ILI/influenza-associated outbreaks and no influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported. In addition to flu, other respiratory viruses were detected in Texas during week 10.

Texas Surveillance Component
      Change from Previous Week
      Current Week
      Previous Week?
      Page of Report
      Statewide influenza activity level reported to CDC (geographic spread of influenza)
      Decreased
      Regional
      Widespread
      --
      Statewide ILINet Activity Indicator assigned by CDC (intensity of influenza-like illness)
      Decreased
      Low
      Moderate
      --
      Percentage of specimens positive for influenza
      0.89%
      23.02%
      22.13%?
      Percentage of visits due to ILI (ILINet)
      0.27%
      5.68%
      5.95%?
      Number of regions reporting increased flu/ILI activity
      ▼2
      Number of regions reporting decreased flu/ILI activity ▲2
      Number of variant/novel influenza infections
      No Change
      Number of ILI/influenza outbreaks
      Number of Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Deaths
      Number of pediatric influenza deaths
      No New Cases Reported

?Data displayed have been updated since last week?s flu report with any new reports received.
      http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...eillance/2016/

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

CONTACTS
        Erikka D. Neroes, Public Information Officer
        erikka.neroes@dallascounty.org
        214.819.6329 (office) 214.394.8109 (cell)
        Zachary Thompson, Director
        214.755.9299 (cell)
        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DCHHS Reports First Pediatric Flu-related Death in Dallas County in 2015-2016 Season
        DALLAS (March 24, 2016) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting a 2-month-old Dallas
        County resident?s death was flu-related. This is the first pediatric death in Dallas County for the 2015-2016 flu
        season. For medical confidentiality and personal privacy reasons, DCHHS does not provide additional identifying
        information.
        The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the flu vaccine for all persons aged 6 months
        and older, with rare exception. Individuals should discuss flu vaccine concerns with a health care provider.
        The flu vaccine DCHHS provides is an all-in-one shot that protects against multiple flu strains including the H1N1
        virus.
        The adult vaccine is given in the adult immunization clinic on the first floor at the DCHHS building located at
        2377 N. Stemmons Frwy. in Dallas. The children?s vaccine is available at all DCHHS immunization clinics. Clinic
        hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Appointments aren?t necessary. For more information
        call 214-819-2162.

MMWR Week 10 (Mar. 6, 2016 ? Mar. 12, 2016)
        Report produced on 3/18/2016
        Summary
        Influenza activity remains elevated across the state.Compared to the previous week, the percentage of specimens positive for influenza marginally increased and the percentage of patient visits due to influenza-like illness (ILI) somewhat decreased. It is too early to tell if influenza activity has peaked for the season. Five ILI/influenza-associated outbreaks and no influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported. In addition to flu, other respiratory viruses were detected in Texas during week 10.

Current Week
        Previous Week?
        Page of Report
        Statewide influenza activity level reported to CDC (geographic spread of influenza)
        Decreased
        Regional
        Widespread
        --
        Statewide ILINet Activity Indicator assigned by CDC (intensity of influenza-like illness)
        Decreased
        Low
        Moderate
        --
        0.89%
        23.02%
        22.13%?
        0.27%
        5.68%
        5.95%?
        ▼2
        Number of regions reporting decreased flu/ILI activity ▲2
        No Change
        No New Cases Reported

?Data displayed have been updated since last week?s flu report with any new reports received.

Comment

MMWR Week 11 (Mar. 13, 2016 ? Mar. 19, 2016)
          Report produced on 3/25/2016
          Summary
          Influenza activity remains elevated across the state. Compared to the previous week, the percentage of specimens positive for influenza and the percentage of patient visits due to influenza-like illness (ILI) decreased slightly. It is too early to tell if influenza activity has peaked for the season. One influenza-associated pediatric death was reported. No ILI/influenza outbreaks were reported. In addition to flu, other respiratory viruses were detected in Texas during week 11.

Current Week
          Previous Week?
          Page of Report
          No Change
          Regional
          Regional
          --
          No Change
          Low
          Low
          --
          2.05%
          20.67%
          22.72%?
          0.29%
          5.19%
          5.48%?
          ▼1
          Number of regions reporting decreased flu/ILI activity ▲1
          No Change
          New Cases Reported

Comment

2nd flu-related death reported in El Paso
            Daniel Borunda, El Paso Times 8:30 p.m. MDT April 28, 2016

El Paso has recorded its second flu-related death of the season, the city Department of Public Health said Thursday.

Public health officials said an El Paso woman in her early 50s who had underlying medical conditions died as a result of flu complications.
            A woman is the second person to die from the flu in El Paso this season, city public health officials said.

Comment

Working...
            X