Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler who died of swine flu visited Houston mall

34 minutes ago
    Associated Press Writers= McALLEN, Texas (AP) ?€” A Mexico City toddler who became the first swine-flu death on U.S. soil spent a day with his family shopping at a huge indoor mall in Houston the day before he began to show symptoms.

Cameron County Judge Carlos Cascos, who spoke with the boy's aunt, said the family spent three nights in Houston just before he fell ill. After spending time in Houston, including at The Galleria mall, they drove the 350 miles back to Brownsville, where he was hospitalized on April 8.

When the hospital there could no longer care for the 23-month-old boy, he was taken to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston on April 14. The boy, who had underlying health problems, died Monday.

Health officials earlier insisted the boy posed no contagion threat to Houston because he had no outside contact there and was kept away from other patients in the hospital. His family has shown no symptoms.

"It's important because we don't know where he contracted it," Cascos said. "It could've been in Houston or somewhere on the way."

He declined to identify the family, citing privacy.

Kathy Barton, spokeswoman for the Houston Health and Human Services Department, said the family didn't mention the earlier visit to the city. She said Houston's epidemiologist would try to re-interview the family.

A large mall would not be conducive to transmitting the virus by a toddler who was likely in a stroller, she added.
    The article that you tried to access, which was part of a feed supplied by a news agency, is no longer on available on the Guardian site

Re: Toddler who died of swine flu visited Houston mall

I could'nt beleive they missed that.

Comment

A large mall would not be conducive to transmitting the virus by a toddler who was likely in a stroller, she added.

Anyone with a small child knows how they are into everything even from a pushchair,then there are the people who admire the child and possibly hold the childs hand especially the older people.

Comment

Supposedly it was The Galleria, which is a very large upscale mall in Uptown Houston.

How many toddlers don't touch things in malls? Mine would never keep their hands off of the clothes, the shelves, toys, chairs.... anything. Also, depending on how much the child was walking, he may not have spent the whole time in the stroller.
        Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Working...
        X