Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas - Seasonal flu 2013/2014 (other than Dallas or Houston areas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texas - Seasonal flu 2013/2014 (other than Dallas or Houston areas)

Second Swine Flu Death in Nueces County this Week

CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) - The City-County Health Department confirmed yet another death from H1N1 flu in Nueces County Tuesday, making it the second swine flu death this week.

Family members identified the woman as 80-year old Christina Trejo. They said she passed away Monday night from the swine flu.

Trejo had been in the hospital since just after Christmas. Family members said it started with a cough, and then she ended up being diagnosed with pneumonia and then H1N1.

...more

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Child dies of flu in Travis County

The first child in Travis County has died of flu this season, bringing to nine the number of flu-related deaths in the county, the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department said today.

That is the same number of Travis County residents who died during the H1N1 ?swine flu? pandemic. H1N1, an A strain of flu, is the main influenza virus circulating this season and is responsible for numerous hospitalizations.

The health department said the child tested positive for the rapid A influenza test. No further testing was done to determine whether the strain was H1N1. Officials said the child had some underlying health conditions as did many of the eight adults who have died.

Comment

Three More Flu Deaths Reported In Central Texas

(January 16, 2014) The total number of flu deaths in Central Texas rose to six Thursday with the confirmation of three more fatal cases of the virus.

The latest victims include two women in their 70s, one of whom died in late December and the other in early January at Scott & White Hospital in Temple.

They both had the H1N1 strain of the flu, Bell County Public Health District disease surveillance coordinator Lacy Sanders said Thursday.

The third victim whose death was confirmed Thursday was a Coryell County woman in her 50s who died at Metroplex Hospital in Killeen.

A Coryell County man in his 60s died of the flu in late December at the Temple VA Hospital and the virus claimed the life of a 2-week-old girl in early January at McLane Children's Hospital Scott & White in Temple.

The first flu death in McLennan County was confirmed earlier this week.

The victim was a woman in her 60s.

...more

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Grayson County reports first flu death of the year

GRAYSON COUNTY, TX -- Texas is experiencing one of the worst flu seasons in the nation, and on Thursday night Grayson County reported its first flu death this year.

Amanda Ortez with the Grayson County Health Department confirms a Whitesboro man has died of Type A Flu. He was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian-WNJ with respiratory problems and multiple underlying flu symptoms. He died January 6th at age 73. Officials don't know if he had been vaccinated with the flu.

...more

Comment

Pregnant woman in coma after being diagnosed with H1N1 virus

It all started with a cold and a visit to a Roswell hospital.

Four days later, Diana Bachman was taken to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas, diagnosed with the H1N1 virus and is in a coma.

Photos of the 25-year-old Bachman show a life in its prime. A newlywed with a loving family, and starting a family of her own.

But in less than a month, things took a dark turn.

Almost a week after Christmas, Bachman was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus.

Comment

141 Fatalities in Texas
              by
              2014-01-17 *

• pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [Excel]
              • pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [html/css]
              • Distribution of pH1N1 Influenza Fatalities in Texas [map by Al]

* 2014-01-18 Updated Stats from Jim Oliveros

Comment

WF had its first death related to H1N1

A public health official confirmed Monday that a 45-year-old man died over the weekend due to complications associated with H1N1, or swine flu.

...more

Comment

10th flu-related death in Travis Co.

AUSTIN (KXAN) - As of Friday Jan. 17, there have been 10 flue-related deaths in Austin.

The current flu season has taken the lives of six people under the age of 60. Three of them were older than 60, and one of the victims was pregnant.

...more

Comment

News story
                    <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 60%;">
                    <tbody>
                    <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">10th flu-related death in Travis County
                    </td></tr>
                    <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">As of Friday Jan. 17, there have been 10 flue-related deaths in Austin.
                    </td></tr>
                    <tr style="float: center; font-size: 100%;"><td></td></tr>
                    <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td>By KXAN News Team</td></tr>
                    <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td><a href="http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/" target="_blank">KXAN News Austin</a>
                    Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 5:47 PM CST
                    Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 12:27 PM CST</td></tr>
                    <tr style="float: center;">
                    <td align="center" style="vertical-align: middle; width: 75%;"><div style="background-color: navajowhite; border-bottom-left-radius: 20px; border-bottom-right-radius: 20px; border-top-left-radius: 20px; border-top-right-radius: 20px; border: 2px solid maroon; color: black; line-height: 18px; padding: 10px; text-align: center; width: 75%;">
                    <div style="text-align: left;">
                    <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'As of Wednesday, the county health department said they had reports of 58 patients with flu-like symptoms being treated in intensive care units at six area hospitals.'

</span></div>
                    </div>
                    </td></tr>
                    </tbody></table>

Comment

Somehow this one was missed?
                      News story
                      <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 75%;">
                      <tbody>
                      <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">Flu vaccine doesn't provide complete protection from virus
                      </td></tr>
                      <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">Flu cases and flu-related deaths are ahead of pace in Travis County and the flu season still has three or four months to go.
                      </td></tr>
                      <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td>By David Scott</td></tr>
                      <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td><a href="http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/" target="_blank">KXAN News Austin</a>
                      Updated: Monday, January 13, 2014, 2:55 PM CST
                      Published: Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 9:49 PM CST</td></tr>
                      <td align="center" style="vertical-align: middle; width: 75%;"><div style="background-color: navajowhite; border-bottom-left-radius: 20px; border-bottom-right-radius: 20px; border-top-left-radius: 20px; border-top-right-radius: 20px; border: 2px solid maroon; color: black; line-height: 18px; padding: 10px; text-align: center; width: 75%;">
                      <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'The Austin-Travis County Health Department has confirmed six deaths this flu season, ahead of the pace in 2009 when in all nine people died.'

</span></div>
                      </div>
                      </td></tr>
                      </tbody></table>

Comment

Originally posted by NS1 View Post

Somehow this one was missed?
                        News story
                        <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 80%;">
                        <tbody>
                        <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">Flu vaccine doesn't provide complete protection from virus
                        </td></tr>
                        <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">Flu cases and flu-related deaths are ahead of pace in Travis County and the flu season still has three or four months to go.
                        </td></tr>
                        <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'The Austin-Travis County Health Department has confirmed six deaths this flu season, ahead of the pace in 2009 when in all nine people died.'

</span></div>
                        </div>
                        </td></tr>
                        </tbody></table>

News story
                        <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 60%;">
                        <tbody>
                        <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">10th flu-related death in Travis County
                        </td></tr>
                        <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">As of Friday Jan. 17, there have been 10 flue-related deaths in Austin.
                        </td></tr>
                        <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td>By KXAN News Team</td></tr>
                        Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 5:47 PM CST
                        Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 12:27 PM CST</td></tr>
                        <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'As of Wednesday, the county health department said they had reports of 58 patients with flu-like symptoms being treated in intensive care units at six area hospitals.'

</span></div>
                        </div>
                        </td></tr>
                        </tbody></table>
                        pH1N1
                        Decision Making
                        by
                        Fact

Texas

Let's see how these numbers work.

With less than one month of avian-influenced pH1N1 surge this season, more deaths have been officially reported (10 Deaths) in Travis County than in the entire 2009 Pandemic (9 Deaths), a period when the virus was deemed Novel and dangerous.

That statistical comparison is made all the more concerning when we take into account the political scenario.

A progression of sheets within the published Open-Access workbook demonstrates the crowd-sourced figures as they have been gathered and reported on 4 occasions between January 5 and January 17, 2014.
                        • pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [Excel]
                        • pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [html/css]
                        • Distribution of pH1N1 Influenza Fatalities in Texas [map by Al]

An access of information collected and collated by citizen volunteers shows that Austin (Travis County) official reports have not increased the count of Influenza fatalities at a rate commensurate with the level of patients that have been and are presently being treated in Intensive Care / Critical Care units. In fact, no early reporting county in Texas with deaths above 5 has increased except for Dallas County since the initial January 5, 2014 accumulation of Texas Fatality by County stats?

Did the Critical Care facilities across Harris, Hidalgo and Travis Counties instantly discover a new treatment that reduced death to a rate nearing zero? If so, that modality would have been communicated widely via a federal public health broadcast.

If just 20% of those patients in Critical Care at this time are not returned to health during the advanced, heroic medical treatment, then Travis County would be reporting 11 more fatalities for a total more than 230% of the entire 2009 Pandemic.

And that's if new severe cases come to a full halt at this moment.

The genetics do not predict a full halt.

Additional accurate data, including clinical statistics from the county level and genetic sequences pertinent to these flashfires from the federal public health level, would allow higher quality guidance from actionable data and, perhaps even, decision-making based on facts.

Comment

Family Speaks Out After Former Pecos Police Officer Dies From H1N1

PECOS- Ishmael "Smiley" Gamboa was well known and loved by many in the Pecos community, but sadly "Smiley" became sick just a few weeks ago. On Monday morning, his family tells NewsWest 9 he lost his life to H1N1.

"I was totally shocked I said it can't be, I mean is it this bad? But you know we had heard that this bad virus or this bad flu. H1N1 is going around and all that but we never expected it to hit our family so close to home," Gamboa's sister, Sue Carrasco, said.

"Smiley" served in the Pecos Police Department for over 10 years before he started truck driving. Pecos Police Chief Clay McKinney said "Smiley" was one of his best officers and everyone enjoyed working alongside him.

Ishmael "Smiley" Gamboa was well known and loved by many in the Pecos community, but sadly "Smiley" became sick just a few weeks ago. On Monday morning, his family tells NewsWest 9 he lost his life to H1N1.

Comment

News story
                            <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 75%;">
                            <tbody>
                            </td></tr>
                            </td></tr>
                            <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'Doctors say the vaccine mix this year is proving a good match for the viruses floating around.

Dr. Philip Huang, the medical director of Travis County Health and Human Services:

"Almost 95 percent of our samples come back positive for the H1N1," Huang said, "and that formulation is in the vaccine mix devised by the CDC."'

</span></div>
                            </div>
                            </td></tr>
                            </tbody></table>

pH1N1
                            Limits
                            of
                            Interpretation

Texas

The limits of testing and the limits of accurate information transfer are being stretched at this moment of the s2013 pH1N1 epidemic in Texas.

A total of 6 sequences are on file from US Public Health sources to describe the entire state of Texas for the current season (s2013) and the inter-season (i2013). Genetic change counts are featured for each sequence's Hemagglutinin (HA) and Neuraminidase (NA) segment.
                            • HA 22 & NA 15 for Texas 2013-December
                            • HA 21 & NA 18 for Texas 2013-November
                            • HA 23 & NA 16 for Texas 2013-October
                            • HA 21 & NA 14 for Texas 2013-September
                            • HA 26 & NA 13 for Texas 2013-August
                            • HA 23 & NA 16 for Texas 2013-July

The comprehensive search shows a combined count of 35 to 39 genetic changes for Texas cases in the only two segments that are targeted by the vaccine. If the virus is clearly different and the vaccine is clearly unchanged from 2009, then what are the circumstances around which the unchanged vaccine has been proven as a match to the changed virus reservoir, a circulation producing a very different clinical outcome pattern?

Have properly handled samples from the current cases from Texas been under Hemagglutinin Inhibition assay against sera from ferrets challenged only with the vaccine strain, CA/07?

Are vaccinated patients in the Critical Care units? How many patients who took a vaccine that "doctors say" is "proving to be a good match" have died?

Comment

Eleventh flu-related death in Travis Co.

AUSTIN (KXAN) - On Tuesday, the eleventh flu-related death was reported in Austin.

Of the 11 deceased, four of them were 60 years of age or older, six died in December 2013 and the rest in January 2014. Only one of the flu-related deaths has been associated with a child. Nationally, 7.5 percent of the week's mortalities were attributed to pneumonia and influenza, according to the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System.

As of yet, no flu deaths have been reported in Williamson County, according to the health department there.

Comment

Originally posted by tetano View Post
                                Eleventh flu-related death in Travis Co.

AUSTIN (KXAN) - On Tuesday, the eleventh flu-related death was reported in Austin.

Of the 11 deceased, four of them were 60 years of age or older, six died in December 2013 and the rest in January 2014. Only one of the flu-related deaths has been associated with a child. Nationally, 7.5 percent of the week's mortalities were attributed to pneumonia and influenza, according to the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System.

As of yet, no flu deaths have been reported in Williamson County, according to the health department there.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...h-in-travis-co
                                pH1N1 s2013
                                Fatalities
                                Exceed
                                pH1N1 2009

Travis County, Texas

With less than one month of avian-influenced pH1N1 surge this season, 22&#37; more deaths have been officially reported (11 Deaths) in Travis County than in the entire 2009 Pandemic (9 Deaths).

pH1N1 decision-making using facts requires deploying current data and making rational projections based on knowledge of the viral genetics and the clinical presentation / progression.

Comment

Working...
                                X