X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Parents Take Action Against H1N1 Influenza

Metro Parents Take Action Against H1N1 Influenza
    Posted: Sep 03, 2009 5:10 PM CDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Fears over the H1N1 influenza has Metro parents taking measures to ensure their children are safe.

After rumors of the H1N1 virus spread at Pennington Elementary School, parent Marcus Anderson rushed to the school Thursday morning to pull his two girls from class.

"We're headed straight to the doctor, and based on what the doctor says I doubt I bring them back for the rest of this week anyway," said Anderson. "I don't want to take any more chances."

Across the Metro district parents like Anderson are concerned for the health and welfare of their children.

All of the fear follows this week's death of a 5-year-old Maxwell Elementary School student from the virus.

Olivia Brown, spokesperson for the district, said administrators can understand the apprehension some parents may feel.

"As a parent you're always concerned," said Brown.

The district was taking proactive steps by even going so far as to supply bus drivers with hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes to hand out to students.

"That's why it's so very important to focus on prevention," said Brown.

The district is also warning parents not to over react. They do not plan on closing any schools as a result of the flu. Administrators want to keep reminding children to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer.

If your child does get sick keep them home for at least 24 hours until their fever has gone down.

Parents with students at Maxwell Elementary were invited to a special meeting discussing any concerns they may have about the H1N1 virus Thursday evening.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X