• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Swine Flu Death in Tennessee

Source: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...wine+flu+death

Tennessee has first swine flu death
    By Chris Echegaray ? The Tennessean ? July 15, 2009

Tennessee has its first reported death from the H1N1 virus, initially called swine flu, the state Department of Health reports.

The department spokeswoman didn't immediately have information on where the fatality was located.

Tennessee has currently 246 confirmed cases of the strain.

The virus spread globally, reaching pandemic levels. In the U.S., there are more than 37,000 cases with 211 fatalities.

To put things in perspective, the regular flu claims 700 lives annually in the state, said Andrea Turner, spokeswoman for the state Department of Health.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: First Swine Flu Death in Tennessee

the regular flu claims 700 lives annually in the state
    Of course it would be nice to know if this figure is estimated the same as the often quoted 36,000 / yr nationwide total....it seems the media like to throw out a number to ease concern everytime they talk deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by lakesidepark View Post
      Of course it would be nice to know if this figure is estimated the same as the often quoted 36,000 / yr nationwide total....it seems the media like to throw out a number to ease concern everytime they talk deaths.
      The "To put things in perspective..." preface must be from a script along with the qualifier "...had underlying conditions associated with complications...".
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

UPDATE: State has first swine flu death; patient first admitted to MTMC

Tennessee has its first reported death from the H1N1 virus, initially called swine flu, the state Department of Health reports.

Angie Boyd-Chambers, public relations director for MTMC in Murfreesboro, confirmed the patient was at MTMC prior to being transferred to Vanderbilt where the patient passed away.

?We were unaware at the time the person had swine flu,? Boyd-Chambers said.

Just before the patient was transferred, hospital staff conducted a swab test and sent the test results to the state Department of Health.

?It takes about a week to 10 days to get results,? she said. ?Once the results came back positive for swine flu, the patient was already at Vanderbilt. This was the patient that died at Vanderbilt."

She could not say specifically when the patient was first admitted to MTMC or what symptoms the patient was suffering from. It is not known how long the patient was at Vanderbilt prior to passing away.

Privacy laws prevented Boyd-Chambers from saying anything about the patient's gender or age.

Tennessee has confirmed 246 confirmed cases of the strain.

Comment

Tennessee Has First Swine Flu Death In State
          Posted: July 15, 2009 04:47 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - State officials said Tennessee has had its first death from the H1N1 virus. Joey Woodruff died a week ago Monday at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville.

The 48-year-old Shelbyville man was a Sunday school teacher, a husband, a father and an Army veteran.

Woodruff was transferred from a Rutherford County hospital to Vanderbilt on Thursday, July 2. He died 4 days later.

One week after his funeral, friends and family learn Woodruff was the first fatal case of the H1N1 virus in Tennessee.

Loved ones find comfort in his commitment to church. Lifelong friend Darryl Lewis visited Woodruff at Vanderbilt as he battled the mystery illness even doctors had trouble pinpointing.

"Joey was a very dedicated Christian and we know where he is. He's all right now, we miss him and we're grieving, but we know he's fine," said Lewis.

Joey Woodruff's wife of less than a-year, Melissa said her husband did have an existing heart condition. Though she's skeptical that had anything to do with his failing health.

The Tennessee Department of Health is working to calm fears about an illness that can be so frightening.

"A large proportion of the people that has died in the last few weeks have been in the middle-age group. Many of them have had underlying health conditions morbid obesity, smoking related, pulmonary disease, asthma," said Dr. Tim Jones, State Department of Health.

Jones said the strain continues to spread in Tennessee and likely will get worse this fall when school begins

The Tennessee Commissioner of Health, Susan Cooper, offered condolences to the family, but insisted containing the flu simply calls for common sense.

"If you are sick with flu like symptoms whether seasonal or H1N1 you need to stay home. If a child is sick you don't need to send them to school," said Cooper.

Health leaders expect more Tennessee casualties before the bug once known as swine flu runs its course.

The State health department said there are 246 confirmed cases of H1N1 Flu in Tennessee. Officials remain optimistic that an H1N1 flu vaccine could be ready by this winter.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10733315

Comment

Working...
          X