Data Summary
    • The current geographic spread of influenza-like illness in
    Rhode Island is regional.
    • The current activity level of influenza-like illness in Rhode
    Island is minimal.

• In Rhode Island, influenza activity increased compared to
    the previous week.
    • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 35
    hospitalizations and 1 influenza-associated death.
    • There have been 8 respiratory outbreaks at congregate
    living facilities and 3 positive influenza specimens tested at
    the State Health Laboratories.

• Influenza B is the predominant circulating virus.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Rhode Island Weekly Influenza

Surveillance Update

2019-2020 Influenza Season

MMWR Week 52
    December 22-28, 2019
    2019-2020 Influenza Season:
    Data Summary
    • The current geographic spread of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is
    widespread (as of 12/26/19).
    • The current activity level of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is moderate
    (as of 1/2/2020).
    • In Rhode Island, influenza activity increased compared to the previous week.
    • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 97 hospitalizations and 2
    influenza-associated deaths.
    • There have been 15 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 18
    positive influenza specimens tested at the State Health Laboratories.
    • For the season as a whole, influenza B is the predominant circulating virus. For
    MMWR Week 52, influenza A and B are co-circulating at similar levels. The
    main circulating influenza A strain is influenza A (H1N1) 2009.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

MMWR Week 1

December 29, 2019-January 4, 2020
      The current geographic spread of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is
      • The current activity level of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is moderate
      (as of 1/2/2020).
      • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 168 hospitalizations and 3
      • There have been 21 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 29
      • For the season as a whole, influenza B is the predominant circulating virus. The

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 2
        January 5-11, 2020

Data Summary
        (as of 1/9/2020).
        • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 230 hospitalizations and 6
        • There have been 25 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 37
        • For the season as a whole, influenza B is the predominant circulating virus. The

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 3
          January 12-18, 2020
          Data Summary

widespread (as of 1/22/19).
          • The current activity level of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is high (as of
          1/17/2020).
          • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 273 hospitalizations and 7
          • There have been 30 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 39
          • For the season as a whole, influenza B is the predominant circulating virus at
          hospitals. The main circulating strain as tested by the Rhode Island State
          Health Laboratories is influenza A (H1N1) 2009.

Comment

MMWR Week 4
            January 19-25, 2020

Data Summary

widespread (as of 1/29/19).
            • The current activity level of influenza-like illness in Rhode Island is high (as of
            1/24/2020).
            • In Rhode Island, influenza activity remained about the same as the previous
            week.
            • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 347 hospitalizations and 7
            • There have been 39 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 41
            • For the season as a whole, influenza B is the predominant circulating virus at

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 5

January 26-February 1, 2020
              Data Summary

widespread (as of 1/29/19).
              1/24/2020).
              • In Rhode Island, influenza activity increased as compared to the previous
              week.
              • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 444 hospitalizations and 9
              • There have been 44 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 61

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 6
                February 2-8, 2020
                Data Summary

1/24/2020).
                • In Rhode Island, influenza activity increased as compared to the previous
                week.
                • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 551 hospitalizations and 9
                • There have been 55 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 64

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 7
                  February 9-15, 2020
                  Data Summary

1/24/2020).
                  • In Rhode Island, influenza activity decreased as compared to the previous
                  week.
                  • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 655 hospitalizations and
                  11 influenza-associated deaths.
                  • There have been 76 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and 75

Comment

Surveillance Update

MMWR Week 8
                    February 16-22, 2020
                    Data Summary

1/24/2020).
                    • In Rhode Island, influenza activity decreased as compared to the previous
                    week.
                    • In the 2019-2020 influenza season, there have been 742 hospitalizations and
                    15 influenza-associated deaths.
                    • There have been 89 respiratory outbreaks at congregate living facilities and
                    108 positive influenza specimens tested at the State Health Laboratories.

Comment

Working...
                    X